Gold, Silver Shares Follow Metals to Multi-Week Lows
By jturbin | October 13, 2012 5:55 AM EST
Shares of most gold and silver mining stocks extended their losses Friday afternoon. The sector’s weakness coincided with a sell-off in precious metals and the broader financial markets.
The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) – which was only fractionally lower this morning – later slid 1.2% to 186.05. In doing so, the XAU was on track for its lowest closing level in over two weeks.
Notable XAU components in the red included Goldcorp (GG), IAMGOLD (IAG), and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). GG fell by 1.1% to $43.67, IAG by 1.6% to $15.71, and SSRI by 2.0% to $14.54 per share.
(Analysis and rankings of every XAU component available at GoldAlert Pro – http://pro.goldalert.com )
The sector underperformed the broader equity indices, as the S&P 500 headed south by just 0.2% to 1,429.52.
As for the metals, COMEX gold futures settled down by $10.90, or 0.6%, at $1,759.70 per ounce. In electronic trading, the yellow metal subsequently dropped to $1,753.50 – its lowest level since September 26th. Silver futures fared worse, retreating $0.53, or 1.6%, to $33.55 per ounce – also a multi-week low.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Samsung SM-A500 (aka Wallet-Friendly Galaxy Alpha) Clears TENAA Revealing Images And Specs
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- Scotland Voted Against Independence, Early Results Indicate