Gold, Silver Shares Follow Metals to Multi-Week Lows
By jturbin | October 13, 2012 5:55 AM EST
Shares of most gold and silver mining stocks extended their losses Friday afternoon. The sector’s weakness coincided with a sell-off in precious metals and the broader financial markets.
The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) – which was only fractionally lower this morning – later slid 1.2% to 186.05. In doing so, the XAU was on track for its lowest closing level in over two weeks.
Notable XAU components in the red included Goldcorp (GG), IAMGOLD (IAG), and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). GG fell by 1.1% to $43.67, IAG by 1.6% to $15.71, and SSRI by 2.0% to $14.54 per share.
(Analysis and rankings of every XAU component available at GoldAlert Pro – http://pro.goldalert.com )
The sector underperformed the broader equity indices, as the S&P 500 headed south by just 0.2% to 1,429.52.
As for the metals, COMEX gold futures settled down by $10.90, or 0.6%, at $1,759.70 per ounce. In electronic trading, the yellow metal subsequently dropped to $1,753.50 – its lowest level since September 26th. Silver futures fared worse, retreating $0.53, or 1.6%, to $33.55 per ounce – also a multi-week low.
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage