Gold, Silver Shares Follow Metals to Multi-Week Lows
By jturbin | October 13, 2012 5:55 AM EST
Shares of most gold and silver mining stocks extended their losses Friday afternoon. The sector’s weakness coincided with a sell-off in precious metals and the broader financial markets.
The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) – which was only fractionally lower this morning – later slid 1.2% to 186.05. In doing so, the XAU was on track for its lowest closing level in over two weeks.
Notable XAU components in the red included Goldcorp (GG), IAMGOLD (IAG), and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). GG fell by 1.1% to $43.67, IAG by 1.6% to $15.71, and SSRI by 2.0% to $14.54 per share.
(Analysis and rankings of every XAU component available at GoldAlert Pro – http://pro.goldalert.com )
The sector underperformed the broader equity indices, as the S&P 500 headed south by just 0.2% to 1,429.52.
As for the metals, COMEX gold futures settled down by $10.90, or 0.6%, at $1,759.70 per ounce. In electronic trading, the yellow metal subsequently dropped to $1,753.50 – its lowest level since September 26th. Silver futures fared worse, retreating $0.53, or 1.6%, to $33.55 per ounce – also a multi-week low.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge