Gold, Silver Shares Follow Metals to Multi-Week Lows
By jturbin | October 13, 2012 5:55 AM EST
Shares of most gold and silver mining stocks extended their losses Friday afternoon. The sector’s weakness coincided with a sell-off in precious metals and the broader financial markets.
The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) – which was only fractionally lower this morning – later slid 1.2% to 186.05. In doing so, the XAU was on track for its lowest closing level in over two weeks.
Notable XAU components in the red included Goldcorp (GG), IAMGOLD (IAG), and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). GG fell by 1.1% to $43.67, IAG by 1.6% to $15.71, and SSRI by 2.0% to $14.54 per share.
(Analysis and rankings of every XAU component available at GoldAlert Pro – http://pro.goldalert.com )
The sector underperformed the broader equity indices, as the S&P 500 headed south by just 0.2% to 1,429.52.
As for the metals, COMEX gold futures settled down by $10.90, or 0.6%, at $1,759.70 per ounce. In electronic trading, the yellow metal subsequently dropped to $1,753.50 – its lowest level since September 26th. Silver futures fared worse, retreating $0.53, or 1.6%, to $33.55 per ounce – also a multi-week low.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points