Phone User Solenne San Jose's €11.7 Trillion Phone Bill Dwarfs EU Debt
By Dominic Gover | October 13, 2012 3:55 AM EST
A woman in France who received the world's largest phone bill was told she could pay it off in instalments.
Solenne San Jose, of Pessac outside Bordeaux, said her 17-digit bill from Bouygues Telecom almost triggered a heart attack. The amount demanded by the firm was €11.721 trillion (£9.44tn).
That is 6,000 times the annual GDP of France and makes the EU debt crisis pale into insignificance.
The actual bill was nearly 12 quadrillion times smaller than that at a modest €117.21.
San Jose was even more stunned by the demand because she had recently shut down the account.
Bouygues Telecom failed to assuage her fears by initially offering to set up an instalments for her to pay off the debt.
"There were so many zeroes I couldn't even work out how much it was," she said.
The firm told said the mix-up was caused by a printing error. The firm waived the bill.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- ISIS Crucifies Teenage Boy For Filming Syrian Base; Image Of Baby Girl Being Beheaded Found [VIDEO]
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Planning Christmas With Her Family In Anmer Hall, Norfolk--Report
- How Australian Father Stabbed 11-Year-Old Son Dead, More Details Emerge
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks