Phone User Solenne San Jose's €11.7 Trillion Phone Bill Dwarfs EU Debt
By Dominic Gover | October 13, 2012 3:55 AM EST
A woman in France who received the world's largest phone bill was told she could pay it off in instalments.
Solenne San Jose, of Pessac outside Bordeaux, said her 17-digit bill from Bouygues Telecom almost triggered a heart attack. The amount demanded by the firm was €11.721 trillion (£9.44tn).
That is 6,000 times the annual GDP of France and makes the EU debt crisis pale into insignificance.
The actual bill was nearly 12 quadrillion times smaller than that at a modest €117.21.
San Jose was even more stunned by the demand because she had recently shut down the account.
Bouygues Telecom failed to assuage her fears by initially offering to set up an instalments for her to pay off the debt.
"There were so many zeroes I couldn't even work out how much it was," she said.
The firm told said the mix-up was caused by a printing error. The firm waived the bill.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS