Phone User Solenne San Jose's €11.7 Trillion Phone Bill Dwarfs EU Debt
By Dominic Gover | October 13, 2012 3:55 AM EST
A woman in France who received the world's largest phone bill was told she could pay it off in instalments.
Solenne San Jose, of Pessac outside Bordeaux, said her 17-digit bill from Bouygues Telecom almost triggered a heart attack. The amount demanded by the firm was €11.721 trillion (£9.44tn).
That is 6,000 times the annual GDP of France and makes the EU debt crisis pale into insignificance.
The actual bill was nearly 12 quadrillion times smaller than that at a modest €117.21.
San Jose was even more stunned by the demand because she had recently shut down the account.
Bouygues Telecom failed to assuage her fears by initially offering to set up an instalments for her to pay off the debt.
"There were so many zeroes I couldn't even work out how much it was," she said.
The firm told said the mix-up was caused by a printing error. The firm waived the bill.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft