Silva vs. Bonnar UFC 153: 5 Reasons To Watch Saturday Night
By Eli Epstein | October 13, 2012 3:05 AM EST
The UFC makes its return to the holyland of mixed martial arts on Saturday night: Brazil. Though it's not as symbolic as when the company returned there last August for the first time since 1998, anytime the UFC sets up shot on Brazilian soil it's always a sight to see, as the fans create a soccer athmosphere and go berserk for Brazilian fighters, waving yellow and green and shouting chants.
UFC 153 was the event that almost wasn't, as American challanger Eric Koch dropped out of his title fight with Brazilian champion Jose Aldo, who was then slated to face dropping-down ex-Lightweight champ Frankie Edgar before Aldo was forced out of the bout due to injuries sustained in a traffic accident. Confused yet?
All was not lost, however, as Middleweight champion Anderson Silva rushed in to save the day by taking a fight on his home soil against Light Heavyweight brawler Stephan Bonnar in a non-title fight. Silva, sometimes perceived as irascible and pompous, cemented himself as a 'company man' with this decision, as did his counterpart Bonnar, who came out of retirement to face the most dangerous striker in the world.
Bonnar, nicknamed "The American Psycho," is most famous for his superhuman abilities to absorb punishment, a faculty he'll desperately need to put to use against "The Spider," who employs a wide variety of deadly strikes and submissions.
Besides the evening's main event, UFC 153 has a phenomanal main card, featuring MMA legends (Antonio "Big Nog" Nogueria), rising Brazilian stars (Erick Silva and Glover Teixeira), and game contenders like Rick Story, Demian Maia, Jon Fitch, and Phil Davis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate