Roger Weir Sentenced to 18 Years for Injecting Baby With Heroin and Attempted Murder
By Hannah Osborne and Dominic Gover | October 13, 2012 2:51 AM EST
Roger Weir has been jailed for 18 years for injecting his child with heroin and attempting to murder his ex-partner at her home in Eastleigh.
Weir, 45, shot Gillian Blackmore with a flare gun before beating her with a metal baton and swinging a meat cleaver at her neck.
The incident took place when Weir visited his former partner's flat in Eastleigh, Hampshire on the evening of 7 May, having spent the day looking after their baby.
Winchester Crown Court heard that Weir was angry after hearing that his partner, 27, had begun a new relationship with a police community support officer.
Although he was ostensibly visiting the property to return the baby, Weir soon fell into a heated argument with Blackmore, which culminated in his attack.
Before shooting her, Weir told Blackmore: "I want you dead."
Blackmore managed to flee the property naked and injured, and contacted the police, who found her covered in blood from her wounds.
Weir had stayed in the flat and locked himself in a bedroom with their 20-month-old daughter. When police arrived, he said: "Don't come in here or I'll shoot the baby.
"I can't live with the thought of someone else raising my daughter."
He proceeded to inject the baby with heroin through her mouth. After a police officer talked Weir out of the room, he said: "I have given the baby heroin, I wanted her to die with me ... I wanted her and me dead."
The child had managed to spit it out and was unharmed.
'A dreadful attack'
At the outset of the trial, Weir pleaded guilty to attempted murder and the administration of a noxious substance to the child.
The court heard Weir had suffered from depression for years and had previously spoken of killing himself. He had also self-harmed.
Martyn Booth, from the Crown Prosecution Service, said: "This was an extreme case of domestic violence.
"Ms Blackmore has been the victim of a dreadful attack that night.
"We hope that Ms Blackmore and her daughter will now be able to move on with their lives and that this conviction will bring some kind of comfort to them."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet