Roger Weir Sentenced to 18 Years for Injecting Baby With Heroin and Attempted Murder
By Hannah Osborne and Dominic Gover | October 13, 2012 2:51 AM EST
Roger Weir has been jailed for 18 years for injecting his child with heroin and attempting to murder his ex-partner at her home in Eastleigh.
Weir, 45, shot Gillian Blackmore with a flare gun before beating her with a metal baton and swinging a meat cleaver at her neck.
The incident took place when Weir visited his former partner's flat in Eastleigh, Hampshire on the evening of 7 May, having spent the day looking after their baby.
Winchester Crown Court heard that Weir was angry after hearing that his partner, 27, had begun a new relationship with a police community support officer.
Although he was ostensibly visiting the property to return the baby, Weir soon fell into a heated argument with Blackmore, which culminated in his attack.
Before shooting her, Weir told Blackmore: "I want you dead."
Blackmore managed to flee the property naked and injured, and contacted the police, who found her covered in blood from her wounds.
Weir had stayed in the flat and locked himself in a bedroom with their 20-month-old daughter. When police arrived, he said: "Don't come in here or I'll shoot the baby.
"I can't live with the thought of someone else raising my daughter."
He proceeded to inject the baby with heroin through her mouth. After a police officer talked Weir out of the room, he said: "I have given the baby heroin, I wanted her to die with me ... I wanted her and me dead."
The child had managed to spit it out and was unharmed.
'A dreadful attack'
At the outset of the trial, Weir pleaded guilty to attempted murder and the administration of a noxious substance to the child.
The court heard Weir had suffered from depression for years and had previously spoken of killing himself. He had also self-harmed.
Martyn Booth, from the Crown Prosecution Service, said: "This was an extreme case of domestic violence.
"Ms Blackmore has been the victim of a dreadful attack that night.
"We hope that Ms Blackmore and her daughter will now be able to move on with their lives and that this conviction will bring some kind of comfort to them."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’