Ecolab Buys Its Second Chemical Company In Less Than A Year
By Angelo Young | October 13, 2012 12:35 AM EST
Ecolab Inc. (NYSE: ECL), the St. Paul, Minn.-based maker of products for the industrial, healthcare, food service and hospitality industries, announced Friday it plans to acquire Champion Technologies Inc. for $2.2 billion.
The parties said the deal is expected to close by the end of the year.
The news comes nearly a year after Ecolab took over Nalco Holding Co. (NYSE: NLC) of Naperville, Fla., one of Champion’s primary competitors in the market for chemicals used to clean wells and boost output, in a $5.4 billion deal.
With the Champion acquisition, Ecolab is well positioned as a provider of chemicals for drilling, including in the bustling U.S. market for natural gas hydraulic fracking, or extracting gas from deep undergound. Competitors in this market include Houston-based Halliburton Co. (NYSE: HAL) and Baker Hughes Inc. (NYSE: BHI), also based in Houston.
Champion, of Houston, says it has about 3,300 employees and reported $1.2 billion in sales last year.
“Like our current Nalco Global Energy Services business, Champion offers very attractive growth and an annuity-like revenue model generating steady and predictable earnings patterns similar to our legacy Ecolab businesses,” said Douglas M. Baker, Jr., Ecolab's chairman and CEO, in the statement announcing the deal.
Champion, a privately-held Louisiana-based company, had been seeking a buyer and had hired Tudor Pickering Holt & Co. and Lazard Ltd. (NYSE: LAZ) as financial advisors, Bloomberg reported.
Ecolab shares rose 64 cents to $64.31 in early Friday trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock EPS Raised to $7.67 Per Share; Apple Pay Could Be Promising in Australia
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date