Murray Leads Triple British Success in the Far-East
By Nick Howson | October 12, 2012 11:08 PM EST
Andy Murray is safely through to the Shanghai Masters semi-final after defeating a spirited Radek Stepanek in three sets to set up a clash with Roger Federer or Marin Cilic.
The lowest ranked player still in the competition, Stepanek started the better as he looked to put the US Open champion away early on.
A break for the Czech saw him take the first set 6-4, with the British No.1 on the rack, but quickly the tide turned.
Murray used his dominance from the back of the court to wear down Stepanek and take the second set 6-2 as the world No.1 41 looked like his race was run.
But a break in the third game of the deciding third set looked like setting up a shock defeat for Murray, a victor in Shanghai in each of the last two years.
A break back in the very next game sparked a run of five of the next six games, to take the third set 6-3 to cruise into the last four.
He will face either Federer of Cilic, while in the other half of the draw Tomas Berdych will take on Novak Djokovic for a place in the final.
Elsewhere, British dominance in the Far-East continued at the Japan Open as Heather Watson reached the semi-final with a straight sets win over Pauline Parmentier.
A match which wavered from the sublime to the ridiculous, with 12 breaks of serve in all, saw Watson prevail 7-5 6-3 as her pursuit of the world's top 50 continues to build pace. The world No.1 will face home favourite Misaki Doe in the semi-final
However, Laura Robson couldn't replicate her counterpart's success, as she crashed out following a third set tie-break defeat against Chang Kai-Chen.
Having lost the first set, Robson, ranked 60 in the world following her runners-up spot at the Guangzhou final, stormed back into the match, taking the second set before forcing a third set tie-break.
But nerves got the better of the 18 year old, who succumbed 7-4 in the tie-break to crash out, with Cheng going on to the face No.1 seed Sam Stosur.
Meanwhile, British doubles pair Ross Hutchins and Colin Fleming are through to the semi-final at the Shanghai Masters after defeating Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi and Jean-Julien Rojer in three sets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Kevin Love to Cleveland Cavaliers Trade Update: Minnesota GM Flip Saunders Wants Wiggins/Bennett Package
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]