European Union Wins Nobel Peace Prize; Winners of Nobel Prizes 2012
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 12, 2012 10:34 PM EST
The European Union (EU) won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for its contribution towards uniting the continent and promoting peace in the last few decades.
Nobel Peace Prize is awarded to those who work most for fraternity between nations, reduction of armed forces and promotion of peace.
"The EU has been a key in transforming Europe "from a continent of wars to a continent of peace," Committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said while announcing the award in Oslo. "This is a message to Europe to do everything they can to secure what they've achieved and move forward."
He praised the 27-nation EU for rebuilding after World War Two and for its role in spreading stability after the 1989 fall of the Berlin Wall, reported Reuters.
The prize comes with a reward of $1.2 million and a five-member panel appointed by the Parliament of Norway selects the winner besides winners of other Nobel Prizes in the field of in Chemistry, Physics, Physiology or Medicine, Literature and Economic Sciences. The prizes will be presented in Oslo on December 10.
Winners of Nobel Prizes 2012
Nobel Price in Physics: Serge Haroche and David J. Wineland for finding ways to measure elusive quantum particles without destroying them.
Nobel Prize in Chemistry: Robert J. Lefkowitz and Brian K. Kobilka "for studies of G-protein-coupled receptors".
Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine: Sir John B. Gurdon and Shinya Yamanaka "for the discovery that mature cells can be reprogrammed to become pluripotent".
Nobel Prize in Literature: Mo Yan for his fantastical novels of various genres from folk tales to history to the contemporary.
The winner of Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences has not been announced yet. It will be announced on October 15.
(With Inputs from Reuters)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate