European Union Wins Nobel Peace Prize; Winners of Nobel Prizes 2012
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 12, 2012 10:34 PM EST
The European Union (EU) won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for its contribution towards uniting the continent and promoting peace in the last few decades.
Nobel Peace Prize is awarded to those who work most for fraternity between nations, reduction of armed forces and promotion of peace.
"The EU has been a key in transforming Europe "from a continent of wars to a continent of peace," Committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said while announcing the award in Oslo. "This is a message to Europe to do everything they can to secure what they've achieved and move forward."
He praised the 27-nation EU for rebuilding after World War Two and for its role in spreading stability after the 1989 fall of the Berlin Wall, reported Reuters.
The prize comes with a reward of $1.2 million and a five-member panel appointed by the Parliament of Norway selects the winner besides winners of other Nobel Prizes in the field of in Chemistry, Physics, Physiology or Medicine, Literature and Economic Sciences. The prizes will be presented in Oslo on December 10.
Winners of Nobel Prizes 2012
Nobel Price in Physics: Serge Haroche and David J. Wineland for finding ways to measure elusive quantum particles without destroying them.
Nobel Prize in Chemistry: Robert J. Lefkowitz and Brian K. Kobilka "for studies of G-protein-coupled receptors".
Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine: Sir John B. Gurdon and Shinya Yamanaka "for the discovery that mature cells can be reprogrammed to become pluripotent".
Nobel Prize in Literature: Mo Yan for his fantastical novels of various genres from folk tales to history to the contemporary.
The winner of Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences has not been announced yet. It will be announced on October 15.
(With Inputs from Reuters)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How