Author Of 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' Files For Bankruptcy
By Amrutha Gayathri | October 12, 2012 9:20 PM EST
Robert Kiyosaki, author of the bestselling “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” series of financial advice books, has filed for corporate bankruptcy after losing a $24 million court judgment, New York Post reported Wednesday.
Kiyosaki’s Rich Global LLC filed for bankruptcy protection in August after being ordered to pay nearly $24 million to the Learning Annex and its founder and chairman Bill Zanker, the report said.
According to a Forbes report, the Learning Annex was one of Kiyosaki’s earliest backers, and helped arrange a number of his most prominent speaking gigs. Kiyosaki’s popularity soared after he appeared on Oprah Winfrey show, and PBS ran his programming during their fundraising weeks.
However, despite the bankruptcy protection filing, Kiyosaki, said to be worth $80 million, is still financially sound due to his investments in other companies, Mike Sullivan, CEO of Kiyosaki’s Rich Dad Co., told the New York Post.
“The dealings we had with Learning Annex were with a company that hasn’t been in business for a number of years . . . I am not surprised Learning Annex is upset and angry, the money doesn’t exist in that company, and we can’t bring money out of the group,” Sulliven was quoted saying.
“Robert and (wife) Kim are not paying out of personal assets. We have a few million dollars in this company, but not 16 or 20. I can’t do anything about a $20 million judgment . . . We got hit for what we think is a completely outlandish figure,” he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar