Author Of 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' Files For Bankruptcy
By Amrutha Gayathri | October 12, 2012 9:20 PM EST
Robert Kiyosaki, author of the bestselling “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” series of financial advice books, has filed for corporate bankruptcy after losing a $24 million court judgment, New York Post reported Wednesday.
Kiyosaki’s Rich Global LLC filed for bankruptcy protection in August after being ordered to pay nearly $24 million to the Learning Annex and its founder and chairman Bill Zanker, the report said.
According to a Forbes report, the Learning Annex was one of Kiyosaki’s earliest backers, and helped arrange a number of his most prominent speaking gigs. Kiyosaki’s popularity soared after he appeared on Oprah Winfrey show, and PBS ran his programming during their fundraising weeks.
However, despite the bankruptcy protection filing, Kiyosaki, said to be worth $80 million, is still financially sound due to his investments in other companies, Mike Sullivan, CEO of Kiyosaki’s Rich Dad Co., told the New York Post.
“The dealings we had with Learning Annex were with a company that hasn’t been in business for a number of years . . . I am not surprised Learning Annex is upset and angry, the money doesn’t exist in that company, and we can’t bring money out of the group,” Sulliven was quoted saying.
“Robert and (wife) Kim are not paying out of personal assets. We have a few million dollars in this company, but not 16 or 20. I can’t do anything about a $20 million judgment . . . We got hit for what we think is a completely outlandish figure,” he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best