House of Lords to Question Barclays, RBS and Lloyds on Bank Reform
By Lianna Brinded | October 12, 2012 9:11 PM EST
Barclays' group general counsel Mark Harding, RBS' group director of strategy and corporate finance Richard Kibble and Jonathan Gray, regulatory developments director at Lloyds Banking Group will face the House of Lords Economic and Financial Affairs EU Sub-Committee on 16 October.
Following an inquiry into the reform of the EU banking sector, which was launched in July 2012, the banks' representatives will give evidence on a number of topics, including the division of responsibility between the European Central Bank (ECB) and national supervisory bodies representing EU Member States, as well as reforms to the role of the European Banking Authority (EBA).
While looking at European proposals mapping out a framework for the Recovery and Resolution Directive, the banks will also deliver their views on how it will impact the UK's overall position within international financial markets.
The initial inquiry stated that "the ongoing euro area crisis, and the strain that it has placed on the EU banking sector, has led to calls for reform of the way in which the banking sector operates and is regulated. Proposals for an EU directive on bank recovery and resolution were published in June. However, these proposals have already been subsumed into a wider debate about the steps towards "banking union" that are needed if the financial crisis is to be resolved.
"Although the Government have made clear that the UK will not take part in the fundamental elements of a banking union, the implications of these developments for the UK cannot be ignored. The Government argue that the UK's non-participation should not and need not adversely affect London's position as the leading financial centre in Europe, nor undermine the single market. The strength of this argument may soon be tested," it added.
Don't forget to check out IBTimes UK's economy section for live blogging of the event.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports