House of Lords to Question Barclays, RBS and Lloyds on Bank Reform
By Lianna Brinded | October 12, 2012 9:11 PM EST
Barclays' group general counsel Mark Harding, RBS' group director of strategy and corporate finance Richard Kibble and Jonathan Gray, regulatory developments director at Lloyds Banking Group will face the House of Lords Economic and Financial Affairs EU Sub-Committee on 16 October.
Following an inquiry into the reform of the EU banking sector, which was launched in July 2012, the banks' representatives will give evidence on a number of topics, including the division of responsibility between the European Central Bank (ECB) and national supervisory bodies representing EU Member States, as well as reforms to the role of the European Banking Authority (EBA).
While looking at European proposals mapping out a framework for the Recovery and Resolution Directive, the banks will also deliver their views on how it will impact the UK's overall position within international financial markets.
The initial inquiry stated that "the ongoing euro area crisis, and the strain that it has placed on the EU banking sector, has led to calls for reform of the way in which the banking sector operates and is regulated. Proposals for an EU directive on bank recovery and resolution were published in June. However, these proposals have already been subsumed into a wider debate about the steps towards "banking union" that are needed if the financial crisis is to be resolved.
"Although the Government have made clear that the UK will not take part in the fundamental elements of a banking union, the implications of these developments for the UK cannot be ignored. The Government argue that the UK's non-participation should not and need not adversely affect London's position as the leading financial centre in Europe, nor undermine the single market. The strength of this argument may soon be tested," it added.
Don't forget to check out IBTimes UK's economy section for live blogging of the event.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Russia Demands Ukraine Release Communications With Doomed Malaysia Airlines MH17, Preliminary Report On Investigations Out This Month
- Ebola Update: Liberian Forces Receive Shoot Orders Against People Trying to Cross from Sierra Leone Border
- Historic First Time: Catholic Pontiff Pope Francis Supports Military Intervention Against ISIS In Iraq
- Chinese Airlines Receives Lawsuit for Rejecting HIV-Positive Passengers
- Travel Alert: Canada Issues Warning Against Chikungunya Disease in Caribbean
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015