House of Lords to Question Barclays, RBS and Lloyds on Bank Reform
By Lianna Brinded | October 12, 2012 9:11 PM EST
Barclays' group general counsel Mark Harding, RBS' group director of strategy and corporate finance Richard Kibble and Jonathan Gray, regulatory developments director at Lloyds Banking Group will face the House of Lords Economic and Financial Affairs EU Sub-Committee on 16 October.
Following an inquiry into the reform of the EU banking sector, which was launched in July 2012, the banks' representatives will give evidence on a number of topics, including the division of responsibility between the European Central Bank (ECB) and national supervisory bodies representing EU Member States, as well as reforms to the role of the European Banking Authority (EBA).
While looking at European proposals mapping out a framework for the Recovery and Resolution Directive, the banks will also deliver their views on how it will impact the UK's overall position within international financial markets.
The initial inquiry stated that "the ongoing euro area crisis, and the strain that it has placed on the EU banking sector, has led to calls for reform of the way in which the banking sector operates and is regulated. Proposals for an EU directive on bank recovery and resolution were published in June. However, these proposals have already been subsumed into a wider debate about the steps towards "banking union" that are needed if the financial crisis is to be resolved.
"Although the Government have made clear that the UK will not take part in the fundamental elements of a banking union, the implications of these developments for the UK cannot be ignored. The Government argue that the UK's non-participation should not and need not adversely affect London's position as the leading financial centre in Europe, nor undermine the single market. The strength of this argument may soon be tested," it added.
Don't forget to check out IBTimes UK's economy section for live blogging of the event.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone