Flash Floods Hit North Devon Village Clovelly as More Flood Warnings Issued
By Hannah Osborne | October 12, 2012 8:05 PM EST
Heavy rain has led to flash floods in the historic village of Clovelly, north Devon, damaging homes and pulling cobbles from streets.
The downpour burst the banks of a stream which runs through the village, sending the water gushing down the streets and into the sea.
Residents of Clovelly, which has been a privately owned fishing village since 1738, said about two inches of rain fell in an hour and 12 homes were flooded.
Paula Cook, a resident of the popular tourist destination, said: "It was like the high street had been turned into a river. I have never seen anything like it."
Another local, Sally Stevens, said: "I think we have had the worst of it, but there has been a lot of damage caused.
"It was mostly between 12.30pm and 2pm ... The heavy rain has gone now, but the damage has been done."
Today, Clovelly North Devon tweeted about the clean-up. @ClovellyVillage wrote: "We consider ourselves lucky there wasn't more damage & that no one was hurt! The clean up continues today."
Although no one was injured, two motorists had to be rescued after they became stranded while driving through the flood water.
The Environment Agency currently has 55 flood alert warnings in place, meaning people should be prepared. A further 12 flood warnings are in place for areas where flooding is expected.
The Met Office has issued severe weather warnings for areas of Scotland, with heavy and persistent rain expected in the north east today. "This may well lead to some flooding in places with disruption to travel," it said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- Graeme Hart Richest Kiwi in NBR Rich List 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8