Flash Floods Hit North Devon Village Clovelly as More Flood Warnings Issued
By Hannah Osborne | October 12, 2012 8:05 PM EST
Heavy rain has led to flash floods in the historic village of Clovelly, north Devon, damaging homes and pulling cobbles from streets.
The downpour burst the banks of a stream which runs through the village, sending the water gushing down the streets and into the sea.
Residents of Clovelly, which has been a privately owned fishing village since 1738, said about two inches of rain fell in an hour and 12 homes were flooded.
Paula Cook, a resident of the popular tourist destination, said: "It was like the high street had been turned into a river. I have never seen anything like it."
Another local, Sally Stevens, said: "I think we have had the worst of it, but there has been a lot of damage caused.
"It was mostly between 12.30pm and 2pm ... The heavy rain has gone now, but the damage has been done."
Today, Clovelly North Devon tweeted about the clean-up. @ClovellyVillage wrote: "We consider ourselves lucky there wasn't more damage & that no one was hurt! The clean up continues today."
Although no one was injured, two motorists had to be rescued after they became stranded while driving through the flood water.
The Environment Agency currently has 55 flood alert warnings in place, meaning people should be prepared. A further 12 flood warnings are in place for areas where flooding is expected.
The Met Office has issued severe weather warnings for areas of Scotland, with heavy and persistent rain expected in the north east today. "This may well lead to some flooding in places with disruption to travel," it said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone