Flash Floods Hit North Devon Village Clovelly as More Flood Warnings Issued
By Hannah Osborne | October 12, 2012 8:05 PM EST
Heavy rain has led to flash floods in the historic village of Clovelly, north Devon, damaging homes and pulling cobbles from streets.
The downpour burst the banks of a stream which runs through the village, sending the water gushing down the streets and into the sea.
Residents of Clovelly, which has been a privately owned fishing village since 1738, said about two inches of rain fell in an hour and 12 homes were flooded.
Paula Cook, a resident of the popular tourist destination, said: "It was like the high street had been turned into a river. I have never seen anything like it."
Another local, Sally Stevens, said: "I think we have had the worst of it, but there has been a lot of damage caused.
"It was mostly between 12.30pm and 2pm ... The heavy rain has gone now, but the damage has been done."
Today, Clovelly North Devon tweeted about the clean-up. @ClovellyVillage wrote: "We consider ourselves lucky there wasn't more damage & that no one was hurt! The clean up continues today."
Although no one was injured, two motorists had to be rescued after they became stranded while driving through the flood water.
The Environment Agency currently has 55 flood alert warnings in place, meaning people should be prepared. A further 12 flood warnings are in place for areas where flooding is expected.
The Met Office has issued severe weather warnings for areas of Scotland, with heavy and persistent rain expected in the north east today. "This may well lead to some flooding in places with disruption to travel," it said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report