Flash Floods Hit North Devon Village Clovelly as More Flood Warnings Issued
By Hannah Osborne | October 12, 2012 8:05 PM EST
Heavy rain has led to flash floods in the historic village of Clovelly, north Devon, damaging homes and pulling cobbles from streets.
The downpour burst the banks of a stream which runs through the village, sending the water gushing down the streets and into the sea.
Residents of Clovelly, which has been a privately owned fishing village since 1738, said about two inches of rain fell in an hour and 12 homes were flooded.
Paula Cook, a resident of the popular tourist destination, said: "It was like the high street had been turned into a river. I have never seen anything like it."
Another local, Sally Stevens, said: "I think we have had the worst of it, but there has been a lot of damage caused.
"It was mostly between 12.30pm and 2pm ... The heavy rain has gone now, but the damage has been done."
Today, Clovelly North Devon tweeted about the clean-up. @ClovellyVillage wrote: "We consider ourselves lucky there wasn't more damage & that no one was hurt! The clean up continues today."
Although no one was injured, two motorists had to be rescued after they became stranded while driving through the flood water.
The Environment Agency currently has 55 flood alert warnings in place, meaning people should be prepared. A further 12 flood warnings are in place for areas where flooding is expected.
The Met Office has issued severe weather warnings for areas of Scotland, with heavy and persistent rain expected in the north east today. "This may well lead to some flooding in places with disruption to travel," it said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Report Claims China & Taiwan Sell Human Meat
- Crocodile Attacks, Takes Man in Adelaide River; Wife Witnesses Tragedy
- Sex with the Dead: Ohio Man Admits Doing it with 100 Corpses
- Princess Diana's Gravesite Algae-Infested, Earl Spencer Reportedly To Blame
- Ebola Virus: NZ Health Officials Given 'Powers' to Stop Ships, Planes from Entering Border
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff