Spain Telefonica Sells Atento To Bain Capital For 1 Billion Euros
By VALLI MEENAKSHI RAMANATHAN | October 12, 2012 7:34 PM EST
Spain's Telefonica (TEF) has reached an agreement with investment firm Bain Capital to sell Atento Call Center for 1 billion euro ($ 1.3 billion) as part of plan to sell assets and cut debt.
Previously, Spanish telecom operator failed in its attempt to list Atento in 2011, Reuters has reported.
Telefonica is trying to close the sale before end 2012 as it needs to raise funds between 7 billion and 8 billion euros till 2015, to cope with debt repayments.
Telefonica has agreed to provide Bain 110 million euros, a statement to the market regulator noted, Reuters has pointed out.
Telefonica is also spinning off its German O2 subsidiary and is mulling listing in Latin America.
Earlier, in the month of July, Bloomberg reported how Bain Capital, co-founded by the U.S. presidential candidate Mitt Romney backed companies including business-software provider MYOB Ltd and cinema chain AMC Entertainment.
Apparently, the private equity firm whose investors include Yale University and government of Singapore was said to be raising $6 billion fund for additional deals, Bloomberg has stated.
Earlier, several European operators had shed assets to scale down debt owing to heavy regulation in home country and slowing growth in emerging markets.
Reportedly, France Telecom sold units in Switzerland to Apax for 1.6 billion euros, while Netherlands' Royal KPB BV sought buyers for Belgian business and wireless towers in Germany.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer News: Swiss Maestro Aiming To Give Switzerland First Davis Cup Title, Win Would Complete Tennis Career
- NBA Recap: Los Angeles Clippers Clobber Miami Heat, 110-93
- Premeir League News: Louis Van Gaal On Danny Welbeck's Development As A Gunner
- 'Vampire Diaries' Season 6, Episode 8 'Fade Into You' Recap/Spoilers: Meeting Kai’s Family, The Gemini Coven
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 24-26, 2014: The Forresters, Logans And Spencers Will Celebrate Thanksgiving Day At The Forrester Mansion
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes