Spain Telefonica Sells Atento To Bain Capital For 1 Billion Euros
By VALLI MEENAKSHI RAMANATHAN | October 12, 2012 7:34 PM EST
Spain's Telefonica (TEF) has reached an agreement with investment firm Bain Capital to sell Atento Call Center for 1 billion euro ($ 1.3 billion) as part of plan to sell assets and cut debt.
Previously, Spanish telecom operator failed in its attempt to list Atento in 2011, Reuters has reported.
Telefonica is trying to close the sale before end 2012 as it needs to raise funds between 7 billion and 8 billion euros till 2015, to cope with debt repayments.
Telefonica has agreed to provide Bain 110 million euros, a statement to the market regulator noted, Reuters has pointed out.
Telefonica is also spinning off its German O2 subsidiary and is mulling listing in Latin America.
Earlier, in the month of July, Bloomberg reported how Bain Capital, co-founded by the U.S. presidential candidate Mitt Romney backed companies including business-software provider MYOB Ltd and cinema chain AMC Entertainment.
Apparently, the private equity firm whose investors include Yale University and government of Singapore was said to be raising $6 billion fund for additional deals, Bloomberg has stated.
Earlier, several European operators had shed assets to scale down debt owing to heavy regulation in home country and slowing growth in emerging markets.
Reportedly, France Telecom sold units in Switzerland to Apax for 1.6 billion euros, while Netherlands' Royal KPB BV sought buyers for Belgian business and wireless towers in Germany.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Whose Life Changed Because of Sexual Abuse and Molestation
Join the Conversation
- Liverpool FC News: Reds Skipper Retires from International Football to Focus on Club Duties
- Transfer News: Barcelona Legend Insists that Addition of Controversial Striker Makes Blaugrana 'Stronger'
- Evan Turner Signs with Boston Celtics
- Serena Williams Addresses Pregnancy Reports; Allegedly Breaks Up With Coach Mouratoglou
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People