Spain Telefonica Sells Atento To Bain Capital For 1 Billion Euros
By VALLI MEENAKSHI RAMANATHAN | October 12, 2012 7:34 PM EST
Spain's Telefonica (TEF) has reached an agreement with investment firm Bain Capital to sell Atento Call Center for 1 billion euro ($ 1.3 billion) as part of plan to sell assets and cut debt.
Previously, Spanish telecom operator failed in its attempt to list Atento in 2011, Reuters has reported.
Telefonica is trying to close the sale before end 2012 as it needs to raise funds between 7 billion and 8 billion euros till 2015, to cope with debt repayments.
Telefonica has agreed to provide Bain 110 million euros, a statement to the market regulator noted, Reuters has pointed out.
Telefonica is also spinning off its German O2 subsidiary and is mulling listing in Latin America.
Earlier, in the month of July, Bloomberg reported how Bain Capital, co-founded by the U.S. presidential candidate Mitt Romney backed companies including business-software provider MYOB Ltd and cinema chain AMC Entertainment.
Apparently, the private equity firm whose investors include Yale University and government of Singapore was said to be raising $6 billion fund for additional deals, Bloomberg has stated.
Earlier, several European operators had shed assets to scale down debt owing to heavy regulation in home country and slowing growth in emerging markets.
Reportedly, France Telecom sold units in Switzerland to Apax for 1.6 billion euros, while Netherlands' Royal KPB BV sought buyers for Belgian business and wireless towers in Germany.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Furious 7' Star Jordana Brewster Reveals Paul Walker's 'Bittersweet' Presence In the Film: Says 'Fans Would Get To Revisit Him'
- 'Fury' Movie Review: Best And Worst Moments Of The Film [WATCH VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC: Gunners Legend Robert Pires Knows Wenger's 'Missing Piece' To Win Silverware
- Bruce Jenner Gets Rid of Bizarre Birthday Manicure For Lunch Out With His Daughters
- Liverpool FC: Reds Striker Daniel Sturridge Looks To Score Goals Upon Return
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight