Spain Telefonica Sells Atento To Bain Capital For 1 Billion Euros
By VALLI MEENAKSHI RAMANATHAN | October 12, 2012 7:34 PM EST
Spain's Telefonica (TEF) has reached an agreement with investment firm Bain Capital to sell Atento Call Center for 1 billion euro ($ 1.3 billion) as part of plan to sell assets and cut debt.
Previously, Spanish telecom operator failed in its attempt to list Atento in 2011, Reuters has reported.
Telefonica is trying to close the sale before end 2012 as it needs to raise funds between 7 billion and 8 billion euros till 2015, to cope with debt repayments.
Telefonica has agreed to provide Bain 110 million euros, a statement to the market regulator noted, Reuters has pointed out.
Telefonica is also spinning off its German O2 subsidiary and is mulling listing in Latin America.
Earlier, in the month of July, Bloomberg reported how Bain Capital, co-founded by the U.S. presidential candidate Mitt Romney backed companies including business-software provider MYOB Ltd and cinema chain AMC Entertainment.
Apparently, the private equity firm whose investors include Yale University and government of Singapore was said to be raising $6 billion fund for additional deals, Bloomberg has stated.
Earlier, several European operators had shed assets to scale down debt owing to heavy regulation in home country and slowing growth in emerging markets.
Reportedly, France Telecom sold units in Switzerland to Apax for 1.6 billion euros, while Netherlands' Royal KPB BV sought buyers for Belgian business and wireless towers in Germany.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Preparations: Team USA 105, .Dominican Republic 62 [PHOTOS]
- American Journalist Steven Sotloff at Risk of Beheading Too If US Gov’t Refuses to Pay $100 Million Ransom to Islamic State Like It Did With James Foley
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015