Google's partnership with Samsung for a tablet computer is expected to yield some cutting-edge component tech, one of which is the pixel-packing display.
The 10.1-inch tablet, which is anticipated to be released by the first half of 2013, should have a pixel density higher than any tablet currently on the market, including HD's Kindle Fire 8.9-inch display and Apple's 3G 9.7-incher iPad.
However, it won't be an easy task for Samsung to squeeze a 2,560x1,600 pixel density screen into a 10.1-inch tablet in its bid to push the display-manufacturing tech envelope, similar to the manufacturing feats that Apple demands from its production partners.
A good benchmark would be the upcoming 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, expected to put 2,560x1,600 pixels (the same pixel count as the 10-inch Google tablet) into a 13.3-inch display. That would yields a PPI (pixel per inch) of about 227. But by cramming that density into a 10-inch screen, its PPI would jump to just shy of 300.
The pixel push is a good preview of what tech giants are going to do in the never-ending race for new technology and innovations. While Windows and Mac have been there for years now, the choice boils down to which is better for users. The same choice goes with tablets and now the convertibles competing against laptops and PCs to be powered by the upcoming Windows 8.
Below are some pros and cons of both OS and devices alike from the point of view of techies.
Advantages of Mac vs Windows (Macbook as the example)
1. The Apple software. An operating system that is light weight and easy to understand.
2. Designs are amazing, stunning, and very interactive.
3. Reliable and fun.
4. Much less likely to pick up malware than Windows-based PC
5. Though the security is less than normal PCs during Internet surfing, malwares now very seldom attack Mac OS compared to Windows OS.
1. The Mac's cost compared to Windows machine may be higher, but features between the two are similar.
2. Limited number of ports than Windows-based machines.
3. Some do not have CD Rom although a user can buy one for about $50.
4. The battery may go very hot and cannot be easily replaced, but replacing it can be directed with a service call, at a cost of about $150.
5. Malwares rarely attack Mac because the number of applications and software that can be installed are limited, unlike Windows OS.
6. Gaming ability is limited. Not all Windows-based games have Mac counterparts, but since Mac has its unique system engines, there are Mac games not available to Windows.
Windows Advantages over Mac
1. Windows has the first to offer the right click button which is very efficient in navigating options. Recently, Apple has included it on some of their devices. This also exists for Windows Phone and Apple iPhones since both have the same key navigation similar to their computers.
2. When it comes to menu bar, Windows separates menu bar per each application so the users will not be confused. On the Mac, the menu bar is replaced by the current application being used. Unlike Windows, the Mac applications can be navigated using separate ways. Surely, Mac has uniqueness in that aspect and adapted users have found ways to make this useful.
3. Resizing in window of an application in Windows is easy by just dragging them by the sides. Mac users could resize their window application by dragging the lower right edge.
4. Apple computers use proprietary hardware and usually cannot be upgraded with more powerful motherboards as technology improves. Windows PCs uses standard motherboards and thus allows user to upgrade every part as desired.
Tablet Slate or Convertible?
Convertible PCs are now rising in quantity due to its amazing design of twist and turn and the touch capacity for its screen. Newly released convertible laptops are also being made ready for the upcoming Windows 8 which maximizes the convertibles. The downside, though, is the price which makes it very expensive compared to most computing device because it is made of the latest hardware technology and a new OS.
Tablet computers have no integrated keyboard like smartphones and most of its navigation functions are accessible by touching the screen. These devices can handle HD videos, play most audio and video codec, edit files and images, access the Internet with high-speed connection, and can even have mobile functions such as the SMS. Tablet computers vary in prices, depending on the specs and brand, but a common downside is their capacity. Laptops or PCs are loaded with at least 250GB of capacity for storage and applications, while tablets could not match such number and would need SD cards to expand them.
Among the two, a tablet computer is useful for greater mobility because it is more compact, smaller, and lighter than convertibles no matter how you rotate it. Tablets are great as a computer at your palm for studying, researching, and discussion and don't require its user to be knowledgeable on how to use it. In contrast, convertibles require more advance knowledge for users because particularly in the areas of maintenance, careful rotation action, software installation (e.g., Windows 8), and hardware specifications.
To contact the editor, e-mail: