Manchester United Transfer News: Strootman, Ince, Wanyama and Vidic Involved in Latest Speculation
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 12, 2012 5:38 AM EST
Manchester United are unlikely to lure long-time reported target Kevin Strootman to Old Trafford in January, according to TalkSport. The defensive midfielder’s agent, Chiel Dekker, had previously suggested a move in the next transfer window could be possible. However, TalkSport claims that PSV Eindhoven will resist approaches for the 22-year-old at least until the summer.
After an impressive first season at PSV last year, Strootman has become an important part of the Netherlands set-up under new coach Louis van Gaal. On Friday he is set to become his nation’s youngest ever captain when he takes the armband for their World Cup qualifier against Andorra.
With the former FC Utrecht man having a contract until 2016, PSV are under no pressure to sell.
United’s midfield has again appeared to be missing a physical presence at times this season and Strootman could well be seen by manager Sir Alex Ferguson as a potential solution. Another defensive midfielder linked to the club in recent times is Celtic’s Victor Wanyama.
The Kenyan arrived in Glasgow from Belgian side Beerschot AC last summer and has reportedly been watch by United scouts on more than one occasion. However, the 21-year-old has reiterated his commitment to Celtic.
"I have heard a lot about my intended move to several clubs and the latest being Manchester United but personally I just think those are rumors,” he told SuperSport.com. “My focus now remains with my team Celtic whom I want to help in both the domestic and champions league."
"Leaving Celtic will not be easy as they cannot just let me go easily as many people think but all in all am happy here and looking forward to continue playing for them as I work hard in my career.”
One player that may well be on his way to Old Trafford in January is young Blackpool winger Tom Ince. The 20-year-old has been involved in increasing speculation linking him to United with Sky Sports becoming the latest source to claim that Ferguson is pushing hard to bring him to the club.
The report claims that Ferguson watched Ince, son of former United midfielder Paul, in action against Charlton on Saturday.
To the relief of Manchester United fans, it appears that current captain at Old Trafford, Nemanja Vidic, won’t be exiting the club in January. The 30-year-old has often been linked to a move abroad in the past and that speculation has resurfaced of late with Juventus and Barcelona said to be interested.
However, according to his agent, Vidic is fully focused on recuperating from his knee injury.
“Vidic is not playing at this time because he's had surgery, so he's only thinking about his recovery and not about the transfer market,"Silvano Martina told itasportpress.it.
"Juventus are complete with their non-EU players for this season and it is highly unlikely they will make a bid for Vidic, therefore I can categorically rule out any interest from them.
"Vidic is already part of a top club and there are no negotiations with Juventus or Barcelona."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff