Players Like Cazorla Are The Most Coveted In Europe - Wenger
By Vanessa Keller | October 12, 2012 3:22 AM EST
Arsene Wenger believes that players like Shinji Kagawa, Santi Cazorla and Luka Modric will be the future stars of football, with midfield players taking over from strikers as the driving force at Arsenal and beyond.
Cazorla was signed by the Gunners in the summer transfer window, and has made a massive impact on the squad, with Mikel Arteta admitting at the start for the week that the side's play is based around the Spaniard.
Players modelled on passing skills rather than physical attributes or the ability to merely score goals from the box have long been important at Arsenal, and Wenger believes that this is the way forward throughout Europe.
"I believe it's because the density of players you have to fight against in the final third is always getting bigger, so the quality of the pass and the technique in that area has become much more important," he told the Arsenal website.
"There is less space available, so accuracy is key. Secondly, because there is a smaller space the shorter players, the very agile players, are becoming more important and the taller players in midfield less so. That could be an explanation.
"It's changed in the last four or five years - the distances absorbed by players are becoming bigger and bigger, and therefore the limited space on the pitch demands more technical ability."
The biggest advocate of this change in style is Lionel Messi, who is not built massively by any means, but is seen as the greatest player in the world right now.
And the Arsenal manager also believes that the job of a defensive midfielder has also changed, with players having to become more technical across the pitch.
"Yes, but you can now say that this player has had to become more technical - you saw it during Euro 2012, with guys like Andrea Pirlo playing in this position," he explained.
"They are not destroyers anymore, they are players that the game starts from and the quality of their passing has become very important. That's why you don't really see purely destructive players in these positions anymore."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open Round of 16: Grigor Dimitrov vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged