Ryder Cup Pair do Battle in World Golf Final
By Nick Howson | October 12, 2012 2:59 AM EST
England pair Justin Rose and Lee Westwood will settle the inaugural World Golf Final after the pair won their respective semi-final matches against Tiger Woods and Charl Schwartzel at the Antalya Golf Club.
After defeating Woods earlier on Thursday, Rose will turn his attention to Westwood, who thrashed former Masters champion Schwartzel by six shots in his semi final.
The former World No.1 followed up his 64 in beating Hunter Mahan, by carding a brilliant 61 as Westwood saw off Schwartzel to set up an intriguing final on Friday between two of Europe's victorious Ryder Cup team.
Earlier, Rory McIlroy crashed out of the eight-man tournament at the hands of Woods, with the World No.2 winning by six shots as the USPGA champion finished the week without a victory in any of his three round robin matches.
McIlroy's defeat comes just weeks after playing a decisive part in Europe's Ryder Cup victory at the expense of Woods' USA, with the pair squaring up amid talk of a gripping rivalry between the two.
"I'm not that disappointed because I've got the afternoon off around the pool," McIlroy, who was accompanied by Caroline Wozniacki in Turkey, said. "I came here because I have never played in Turkey and there are a lot of good players here.
"I thought it would be a fun week and it has been. I've now got four events left this year starting the week after next, defending my BMW Masters title in Shanghai."
The World No.1 will scoop an impressive £187,000 after finishing eighth in the event, while the winner of Friday's all-English final could win £935,000, while the runner up could claim £623,000.
Woods, who has showed signs of his best in 2012, and finished tied for third at the Open Championship, said his form is starting to turn.
"I really hit it good out there," Woods said. "I missed a couple of putts so it could have been a really low number.
"My game is starting to turn around a bit and I am beginning to hit it like I did at the start of the year."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance