Pardew Asks for Fans Support As Midfielder Suffers Cruciate Injury
By Adrian Back | October 12, 2012 1:54 AM EST
Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has asked the fans to show their support to young midfielder Haris Vuckic after the midfielder was ruled out for more than six months.
The 20-year-old was playing for the Newcastle reserve side against Aston Villa on Monday night when he suffered a cruciate knee ligament injury and now faces a race to bit fit before the end of the season.
"I think Haris knew straight away it was a serious injury," Pardew told the Daily Mail. "If our fans want to send him any messages, I think that would be appropriate, because he is hurt."
Despite making just 14 appearances in the Newcastle first team since moving to the club back in January 2009, Vuckic is a Slovenia international and arrived at the club with a big reputation.
He had been hoping to make an impact in the first team this season but he has now admitted that he will struggle to be able to recover before the end of the current campaign.
"I immediately knew that something is very wrong and I suspected that it could be cruciate ligament and the medical examination proved that,'" Vuckic told Ekipa.
"Now I have to wait for the swelling in the knee to go away. Then I will have surgery and four to six months of rest.
"It is very difficult, especially mentally. But I know that I will be okay, I know that doctors will take care of me, but it will require time and a lot of patience.
"I'm very sad. I was very close to the first team, I was getting a chance in Europa League and after long time I felt really great. But injuries are part of sport and football. I could feel sorry for myself, that would be easier, but I won't. I'm not like that so I will do everything in my power to come back even stronger."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate