Pardew Asks for Fans Support As Midfielder Suffers Cruciate Injury
By Adrian Back | October 12, 2012 1:54 AM EST
Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has asked the fans to show their support to young midfielder Haris Vuckic after the midfielder was ruled out for more than six months.
The 20-year-old was playing for the Newcastle reserve side against Aston Villa on Monday night when he suffered a cruciate knee ligament injury and now faces a race to bit fit before the end of the season.
"I think Haris knew straight away it was a serious injury," Pardew told the Daily Mail. "If our fans want to send him any messages, I think that would be appropriate, because he is hurt."
Despite making just 14 appearances in the Newcastle first team since moving to the club back in January 2009, Vuckic is a Slovenia international and arrived at the club with a big reputation.
He had been hoping to make an impact in the first team this season but he has now admitted that he will struggle to be able to recover before the end of the current campaign.
"I immediately knew that something is very wrong and I suspected that it could be cruciate ligament and the medical examination proved that,'" Vuckic told Ekipa.
"Now I have to wait for the swelling in the knee to go away. Then I will have surgery and four to six months of rest.
"It is very difficult, especially mentally. But I know that I will be okay, I know that doctors will take care of me, but it will require time and a lot of patience.
"I'm very sad. I was very close to the first team, I was getting a chance in Europa League and after long time I felt really great. But injuries are part of sport and football. I could feel sorry for myself, that would be easier, but I won't. I'm not like that so I will do everything in my power to come back even stronger."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet