Andy Murray Wins in Shanghai to Cap off Successful Day for British Tennis
By Adrian Back | October 11, 2012 10:44 PM EST
Andy Murray made short work of Ukrainian Alexandr Dolgopolov to advance to the quarter-finals of the Shanghai Masters and round off a successful day for British tennis.
The Scot's victory came just hours after Laura Robson and Heather Watson both secured victories in their second round matches at the Japan Open.
Murray had received a bye in the second round of the tournament in China as Germany's Florian Mayer was forced to retire due to injury.
Dolgopolov had upset France's Gilles Simon in straight sets to advance to the third round and was expected to give Murray a difficult match.
However, the world number three was rarely troubled as he secured a 6-2 6-2 victory in just 57 minutes and will now face Radek Stepanek of the Czech Republic in the next round.
Murray appeared to be struggling with a cold but it did little to hinder his performance as he took control of the match from the very outset.
After comfortably winning the first set, Murray secured an early break to lead 2-1, only to allow Dolgopolov to break straight back after a sloppy service game.
It did little to turn the momentum of the match and Murray then reeled off four games on the trot to seal the victory.
"When you play against him I think it's very important that you need to play a solid match but it's very important to play variety," said Murray.
"Normally his game style gives guys problems if you keep playing the same ball over and over and he's the one chipping balls, hitting some flat balls, higher [balls], coming to the net, using drop shots; so I tried to use the slice a little bit, some higher balls and some off-pace balls so that he didn't have the rhythm to play his normal game."
Murray's win rounded off a successful day for Britain's in action as Robson secured a 6-4 6-4 win over China's Zhou Yimao, while Watson came from a set down to beat Spain's Anabel Medina Garrigues 6-7 6-2 6-3.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS