Andy Murray Wins in Shanghai to Cap off Successful Day for British Tennis
By Adrian Back | October 11, 2012 10:44 PM EST
Andy Murray made short work of Ukrainian Alexandr Dolgopolov to advance to the quarter-finals of the Shanghai Masters and round off a successful day for British tennis.
The Scot's victory came just hours after Laura Robson and Heather Watson both secured victories in their second round matches at the Japan Open.
Murray had received a bye in the second round of the tournament in China as Germany's Florian Mayer was forced to retire due to injury.
Dolgopolov had upset France's Gilles Simon in straight sets to advance to the third round and was expected to give Murray a difficult match.
However, the world number three was rarely troubled as he secured a 6-2 6-2 victory in just 57 minutes and will now face Radek Stepanek of the Czech Republic in the next round.
Murray appeared to be struggling with a cold but it did little to hinder his performance as he took control of the match from the very outset.
After comfortably winning the first set, Murray secured an early break to lead 2-1, only to allow Dolgopolov to break straight back after a sloppy service game.
It did little to turn the momentum of the match and Murray then reeled off four games on the trot to seal the victory.
"When you play against him I think it's very important that you need to play a solid match but it's very important to play variety," said Murray.
"Normally his game style gives guys problems if you keep playing the same ball over and over and he's the one chipping balls, hitting some flat balls, higher [balls], coming to the net, using drop shots; so I tried to use the slice a little bit, some higher balls and some off-pace balls so that he didn't have the rhythm to play his normal game."
Murray's win rounded off a successful day for Britain's in action as Robson secured a 6-4 6-4 win over China's Zhou Yimao, while Watson came from a set down to beat Spain's Anabel Medina Garrigues 6-7 6-2 6-3.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown