Wilfried Zaha Urged to Stay Put amid Interest from Arsenal and Liverpool
By Vishnuprasad S | October 11, 2012 10:31 PM EST
Crystal Palace manager Dougie Freedman has advised winger Wilfried Zaha to ignore any interest from the Premier League heavyweights and focus on continuing the season with the south London club.
The 19-year-old, who has already notched four goals and two assists this season, has been attracting attention from Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester City. However, Freedman feels that it is too early for the youngster to make a move to England's top flight.
"He's got huge potential. He's a wonderful, wonderful player but, better for myself, he's a wonderful young man. He knows exactly what his path is in football. He knows if he dedicates his life to football he can go a long, long way," TalkSport quoted Freedman.
"The situation is he has got a long contract and I've been working with Wilfried Zaha since the age of 14 years old, so the relationship is strong. I've got a responsibility to not only the club's fans but to Wilfried and his family to let them know when the time is right to move on. I strongly believe it is not right now," the 38-year-old pointed out.
The manager also revealed that even if the Premier League clubs make an offer for Zaha in the next transfer window, the Eagles will not be under any pressure to sell.
"He is playing games, he is getting the attention he deserves and he is working at his game. Sometimes money talks in football but we're at a club right now that is in no debt, we don't owe any money, and we don't have to sell," Freedman added.
Koscielny Injury not Serious
Arsenal and France centre-back Laurent Koscielny has been passed fit to play in the friendly against Japan, the Gunners have confirmed, as his knee injury was not as bad as first feared.
The 27-year-old was reportedly stretchered off during a Les Blues training session after colliding with teammate Franck Ribery. However, the player will be fit to feature against Japan and also the World Cup qualifier against Spain next week.
"After receiving a knock on his right knee at the end of the training session in Clairefontaine on Wednesday afternoon, Laurent Koscielny passed a very reassuring medical exam in the evening. The defender will take part in training on Thursday at 6.30pm at the Stade de France," read a statement on the Arsenal Web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans