Radamel Falcao: Why he’s the Premier League’s Most Wanted Striker
By Adrian Back | October 11, 2012 9:53 PM EST
The Premier League's biggest clubs have all been salivating at the juicy news that Radamal Falcao may be sold at the end of the current season.
Atletico Madrid general manager Gil Martin has stated that the economic problems at the club could be solved if they sell the striker in the summer.
"€60 [£48] million for Falcao would solve all the economic problems at Atletico," Martin is quoted as saying in The Mirror. "I can say for sure, though, that he will stay with us until the end of the season. Not only will he stay, but so will all the players that the coach wants to stay.
"We will fight to perform a miracle which is what we are doing with what we have available. In Europe there are 50 clubs with more income than we have. If we were to sell Falcao for €60million, then that would cover our debts."
With that price tag it limits the clubs that will have a genuine chance of signing the Colombian hot shot. Chelsea and Manchester City are the two most likely candidates in the Premier League, while around Europe the likes of Paris Saint-Germain, AC Milan and Spanish duo Barcelona and Real Madrid may want to compete.
But what makes the 26-year-old one of the most sought after strikers in world football? The answer is he is one of the few out-and-strikers who can virtually guarantee goals.
His record since joining Porto in 2009 is sensational. In three seasons in Europe he has averaged a goal every 109 minutes. While at Porto, Falcao scored 71 goals in 87 appearances in all competitions and a staggering 17 goals in 16 games as he helped the club win the Europa League title.
In his first season in Spanish football his record continued to impress. He came third in the Pichichi standings [Spain's top scorer list] behind Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo with 24 goals. In total he scored 35 goals in 50 appearances. Not bad when you consider Atletico finished in fifth place, some 44 points behind neighbours Real Madrid.
This season he has continued where he left off and is in even more prolific form. A report in Spanish Marca has stated that this season the striker has averaged a goal every 45 minutes. He has scored 12 goals in 551 minutes, including the hat-trick he fired against Chelsea in the European Super Cup.
He has only failed to score in one league game this season and is currently one goal ahead of Ronaldo and Messi [thanks to being awarded a dubious second goal against Malaga by Marca last weekend] with nine league goals.
A physically powerful forward who regularly scores with both feet and is dangerous in the air; it is no surprise that the Premier League clubs are interested. Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini watched the striker in action against Malaga and could well consider making an offer.
The £48million release clause would barely raise an eyebrow at Manchester City, while the same could be said of Chelsea. The Blues currently have just two senior strikers in Fernando Torres and Daniel Sturridge and an array of supporting staff in midfield.
Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo enjoys the system which requires one forward with attacking players helping ease the burden. Falcao would perfectly suit this system but much will depend on whether Torres demonstrates the form of years gone by.
In the modern game there are very few strikers whose entire game is based around simply putting the ball in the back of the net. They cannot drop into midfield, or work the wide areas. Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Klaas Jan Huntelaar and Robin van Persie fit into this category.
So with choices limited Chelsea and Manchester City may well be the ones that profit should he decide he wants to test himself in England. Where would the striker choose? We could well find out next summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Claims that Fabregas will Play Best Football Under Him
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists