Second Albanian dissident torches self over payment row
October 11, 2012 3:56 AM EST
An Albanian former political prisoner set himself on fire on Wednesday, the second dissident to do so in two days after the government ruled out talks on their demands for compensation for suffering under communism.
Television footage showed Lirak Bejko, 47, pour petrol on himself and set his trousers on fire, before friends and policemen rushed to put out the flames with blankets.
Doctors said he was in critical condition, with third-degree burns to his limbs and face. Gjergj Ndreca, who set himself on fire on Monday, is also recovering in hospital.
Bejko, 47, and Ndreca are among 20 former dissidents imprisoned during the communist era who have been fasting for 19 days to draw attention to their demands.
The government says they have already received compensation. Prime Minister Sali Berisha said his party had granted former political prisoners $100 million (62.4 million pounds) in cash and privatisation vouchers.
Skender Tufa, the head of the prisoners association, said the dissidents have agreed to carry out other "extreme protests", but did not give details.
"These are very grave acts, but...we have nothing else to lose. We the former prisoners are corpses walking around without dignity," he said.
(Reporting By Benet Koleka, Editing by Diana Abdallah)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools