Italian Defender Flattered by Liverpool Interest
By Adrian Back | October 10, 2012 11:54 PM EST
Torino defender Angelo Ogbonna has revealed that he is flattered to be linked with a possible move to Liverpool after reports that scouts watched him in action at the weekend.
The centre-back has recently emerged as a regular member of Cesar Prandelli's Italy squad and played the full ninety minutes against England in a friendly back in August.
Ogbonna has come through the youth ranks at Torino and has been a regular in the side for some time, winning admiration from several clubs in the Premier League.
Yesterday it was reported that Liverpool representatives watched the 24-year-old in action and the club have been linked with a possible bid for the defender.
"It is flattering to be linked with Liverpool football club, one of the biggest clubs in the world. It's very famous," Ogbonna told Sky Sports.
"However, my contract with Torino expires in 2016 and I like Torino as a club. But you never know."
Liverpool have had problems at the back this season and have managed to keep just one clean sheet, which came at the weekend when they drew 0-0 with Stoke.
With Jamie Carragher coming towards the end of his playing career, it could be that Liverpool will begin to look for a future successor to the club legend.
Manager Brendan Rodgers has relied heavily on Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger, while in reserve he can call upon youngster Sebastian Coates who is still relatively inexperienced at the highest level.
Liverpool will be unable to watch Ogbonna in action for Italy during the international break, after as he was forced to withdraw from the squad because of an inflamed prostate gland.
Ogbonna had been included in the 27-man squad that will face Armenia on Friday night, before returning to Italy for a home fixture against Denmark on Tuesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown