Italian Defender Flattered by Liverpool Interest
By Adrian Back | October 10, 2012 11:54 PM EST
Torino defender Angelo Ogbonna has revealed that he is flattered to be linked with a possible move to Liverpool after reports that scouts watched him in action at the weekend.
The centre-back has recently emerged as a regular member of Cesar Prandelli's Italy squad and played the full ninety minutes against England in a friendly back in August.
Ogbonna has come through the youth ranks at Torino and has been a regular in the side for some time, winning admiration from several clubs in the Premier League.
Yesterday it was reported that Liverpool representatives watched the 24-year-old in action and the club have been linked with a possible bid for the defender.
"It is flattering to be linked with Liverpool football club, one of the biggest clubs in the world. It's very famous," Ogbonna told Sky Sports.
"However, my contract with Torino expires in 2016 and I like Torino as a club. But you never know."
Liverpool have had problems at the back this season and have managed to keep just one clean sheet, which came at the weekend when they drew 0-0 with Stoke.
With Jamie Carragher coming towards the end of his playing career, it could be that Liverpool will begin to look for a future successor to the club legend.
Manager Brendan Rodgers has relied heavily on Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger, while in reserve he can call upon youngster Sebastian Coates who is still relatively inexperienced at the highest level.
Liverpool will be unable to watch Ogbonna in action for Italy during the international break, after as he was forced to withdraw from the squad because of an inflamed prostate gland.
Ogbonna had been included in the 27-man squad that will face Armenia on Friday night, before returning to Italy for a home fixture against Denmark on Tuesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports