Italian Defender Flattered by Liverpool Interest
By Adrian Back | October 10, 2012 11:54 PM EST
Torino defender Angelo Ogbonna has revealed that he is flattered to be linked with a possible move to Liverpool after reports that scouts watched him in action at the weekend.
The centre-back has recently emerged as a regular member of Cesar Prandelli's Italy squad and played the full ninety minutes against England in a friendly back in August.
Ogbonna has come through the youth ranks at Torino and has been a regular in the side for some time, winning admiration from several clubs in the Premier League.
Yesterday it was reported that Liverpool representatives watched the 24-year-old in action and the club have been linked with a possible bid for the defender.
"It is flattering to be linked with Liverpool football club, one of the biggest clubs in the world. It's very famous," Ogbonna told Sky Sports.
"However, my contract with Torino expires in 2016 and I like Torino as a club. But you never know."
Liverpool have had problems at the back this season and have managed to keep just one clean sheet, which came at the weekend when they drew 0-0 with Stoke.
With Jamie Carragher coming towards the end of his playing career, it could be that Liverpool will begin to look for a future successor to the club legend.
Manager Brendan Rodgers has relied heavily on Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger, while in reserve he can call upon youngster Sebastian Coates who is still relatively inexperienced at the highest level.
Liverpool will be unable to watch Ogbonna in action for Italy during the international break, after as he was forced to withdraw from the squad because of an inflamed prostate gland.
Ogbonna had been included in the 27-man squad that will face Armenia on Friday night, before returning to Italy for a home fixture against Denmark on Tuesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]