Italian Defender Flattered by Liverpool Interest
By Adrian Back | October 10, 2012 11:54 PM EST
Torino defender Angelo Ogbonna has revealed that he is flattered to be linked with a possible move to Liverpool after reports that scouts watched him in action at the weekend.
The centre-back has recently emerged as a regular member of Cesar Prandelli's Italy squad and played the full ninety minutes against England in a friendly back in August.
Ogbonna has come through the youth ranks at Torino and has been a regular in the side for some time, winning admiration from several clubs in the Premier League.
Yesterday it was reported that Liverpool representatives watched the 24-year-old in action and the club have been linked with a possible bid for the defender.
"It is flattering to be linked with Liverpool football club, one of the biggest clubs in the world. It's very famous," Ogbonna told Sky Sports.
"However, my contract with Torino expires in 2016 and I like Torino as a club. But you never know."
Liverpool have had problems at the back this season and have managed to keep just one clean sheet, which came at the weekend when they drew 0-0 with Stoke.
With Jamie Carragher coming towards the end of his playing career, it could be that Liverpool will begin to look for a future successor to the club legend.
Manager Brendan Rodgers has relied heavily on Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger, while in reserve he can call upon youngster Sebastian Coates who is still relatively inexperienced at the highest level.
Liverpool will be unable to watch Ogbonna in action for Italy during the international break, after as he was forced to withdraw from the squad because of an inflamed prostate gland.
Ogbonna had been included in the 27-man squad that will face Armenia on Friday night, before returning to Italy for a home fixture against Denmark on Tuesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports