Gold, Silver Shares Retreat, Precious Metals Turn Lower
By jturbin | October 10, 2012 6:52 AM EST
Shares of most gold and silver mining companies turned sharply lower on Tuesday amid a broad-based sell-off in financial markets and strength in the U.S. dollar.
The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) initially rose as much as 0.7% to 191.35, but traded down by 1.9% at 186.56 this afternoon. Notable XAU components in the red included Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM), Kinross Gold (KGC), and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). AEM fell by 1.8% to $52.20, KGC by 2.9% to $10.41, and SSRI by 3.9% to $14.73 per share.
The sector retreated in concert with precious metals, as gold futures slid $9.70, or 0.6%, to 41,766.00 per ounce. Silver futures fared modestly better, dropping only $0.11, or 0.3%, to $33.91 per ounce.
As for the broader equity markets, the Dow Jones Industrial Average slipped 93.39 points, or 0.7%, to 13,490.30 and the S&P 500 Index declined 13.09 points, or 0.9%, to 1,442.79.
The U.S. Dollar Index was one of the few beneficiaries of today’s risk-off environment, as it advanced 0.6% to 80.012.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation