Gold, Silver Shares Retreat, Precious Metals Turn Lower
By jturbin | October 10, 2012 6:52 AM EST
Shares of most gold and silver mining companies turned sharply lower on Tuesday amid a broad-based sell-off in financial markets and strength in the U.S. dollar.
The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) initially rose as much as 0.7% to 191.35, but traded down by 1.9% at 186.56 this afternoon. Notable XAU components in the red included Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM), Kinross Gold (KGC), and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). AEM fell by 1.8% to $52.20, KGC by 2.9% to $10.41, and SSRI by 3.9% to $14.73 per share.
The sector retreated in concert with precious metals, as gold futures slid $9.70, or 0.6%, to 41,766.00 per ounce. Silver futures fared modestly better, dropping only $0.11, or 0.3%, to $33.91 per ounce.
As for the broader equity markets, the Dow Jones Industrial Average slipped 93.39 points, or 0.7%, to 13,490.30 and the S&P 500 Index declined 13.09 points, or 0.9%, to 1,442.79.
The U.S. Dollar Index was one of the few beneficiaries of today’s risk-off environment, as it advanced 0.6% to 80.012.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues