Gold and Silver Remain in Consolidation Mode
By Eric McWhinnie | October 10, 2012 6:23 AM EST
Both precious metals remained in their recent consolidation phrase, despite China’s central bank providing more liquidity to its economy. The People’s Bank of China used reverse repurchases agreements, also known as reverse repos, to inject 265 billion yuan ($42.14 billion) into the money market on Tuesday. More than 2.4 trillion yuan has been injected since June.
“The central bank seems to be scrambling to bring money-market rates down in order to support growth,” said Dariusz Kowalczyk, a senior economist at Crédit Agricole CIB, according to the WSJ. “The large open-market operation shows a pro-growth policy bias and should thus be positive for market sentiment.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) fell 0.50 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) only declined 0.20 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) both dropped more than 1 percent. Silver names such as First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) and Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) declined 0.55 percent and 0.30 percent, respectively.
Shares of Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) declined on news of an illegal work stoppage near its El Cubo mine located in the state of Guanajuato, Mexico. It is preventing company management and personnel from accessing certain facilities held under lease.
In a press release, Endeavour explains, “No formal complaints have been made against Endeavour or its subsidiaries and no strike notice has been filed so the work stoppage is illegal. Endeavour has contacted the Mexican government authorities and taken all the legal steps necessary to declare the stoppage illegal and cease the blockade. El Cubo mine operations have not been interrupted and union workers continue to produce and stockpile ore as usual. Endeavour’s wholly owned El Cubo leach plant has been unaffected by the work stoppage thus far but will run out of concentrates from the Las Torres plant soon.”
Investor Insight: Gold: A Put Against the Idiocy of the Political Cycle
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft