Gold and Silver Remain in Consolidation Mode
By Eric McWhinnie | October 10, 2012 6:23 AM EST
Both precious metals remained in their recent consolidation phrase, despite China’s central bank providing more liquidity to its economy. The People’s Bank of China used reverse repurchases agreements, also known as reverse repos, to inject 265 billion yuan ($42.14 billion) into the money market on Tuesday. More than 2.4 trillion yuan has been injected since June.
“The central bank seems to be scrambling to bring money-market rates down in order to support growth,” said Dariusz Kowalczyk, a senior economist at Crédit Agricole CIB, according to the WSJ. “The large open-market operation shows a pro-growth policy bias and should thus be positive for market sentiment.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) fell 0.50 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) only declined 0.20 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) both dropped more than 1 percent. Silver names such as First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) and Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) declined 0.55 percent and 0.30 percent, respectively.
Shares of Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) declined on news of an illegal work stoppage near its El Cubo mine located in the state of Guanajuato, Mexico. It is preventing company management and personnel from accessing certain facilities held under lease.
In a press release, Endeavour explains, “No formal complaints have been made against Endeavour or its subsidiaries and no strike notice has been filed so the work stoppage is illegal. Endeavour has contacted the Mexican government authorities and taken all the legal steps necessary to declare the stoppage illegal and cease the blockade. El Cubo mine operations have not been interrupted and union workers continue to produce and stockpile ore as usual. Endeavour’s wholly owned El Cubo leach plant has been unaffected by the work stoppage thus far but will run out of concentrates from the Las Torres plant soon.”
Investor Insight: Gold: A Put Against the Idiocy of the Political Cycle
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports