Liverpool Links Excites Ajax Midfielder
By Nick Howson | October 10, 2012 12:49 AM EST
Ajax midfielder Christian Eriksen says interest from the likes of Liverpool is special, but adds he has not given any thought to a departure from the Eredivisie side.
Eriksen is one of Europe's rising stars, and has previously been linked with a move to Manchester United following his impressive performances for his club and country Denmark during the summer's European Championship.
Reports in his homeland have linked him with a potential move to Liverpool, and while Eriksen is flattered by the reported interest, he has had no thoughts of leaving Ajax.
"It's very cool that the focus is on one of the big clubs [Liverpool]. It's very special, but I have not really thought about a club transfer in any way," Eriksen told tipsbladet.dk.
"We do not know yet. It really depends on the season and how it all looks like summer, says Eriksen.
"We hope and expect that we can continue. It will be a great achievement in itself, if we can be champions three years in a row, so that's what we go for."
Meanwhile, winger Stewart Downing is keen to win his place back in the Liverpool side having fallen out of favor under new manager Brendan Rodgers.
Downing has made just one league start under Rodgers this season, after being a near ever-present under Kenny Dalglish in the Premier League last term.
But the England international is yet to be taken to by Rodgers, who made public his disapointment with Downing's form, and the 28 year old says he is determined to break back into the reckoning at Anfield.
"I'm disappointed," he began. "if that's how the manager sees it then there's nothing I can do. I would have preferred it if it was private.
"I was upset but you'd have to ask the manager what he meant by it.
"Bravery is a lot of things. It's not just tackling. Bravery is also taking the ball when you are losing the game and trying to create things. That's what I try to do.
"I was surprised that it came out. I've obviously spoken to him on numerous occasions about different things when I wasn't in the team, private things, but the only thing I can do is keep playing well.
"I fought very hard when I was at Aston Villa to do well for them and get a good move to Liverpool."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James