Dalit Woman Burnt to Death in Bihar for Refusing to Give Money
By IB Times Staff Reporter | October 9, 2012 9:33 PM EST
A dalit woman in Bihar's Gaya district was allegedly beaten up and burnt to death by three upper caste landowners.
The victim's family alleged that Subedar Yadav, a former block pramukh, and his two nephews Yogesh and Mukesh had promised Putukwa Devi a house under the Indira Awas Yojana. They often used to take money from Putuka.
When the 35-year-old refused to give them money, they poured kerosene on her and set her on fire, the victim's mother said, according to NDTV.
Putuka suffered severe burn injuries and was taken to the Anugrah Narayan Magadh Medical College and Hospital where she died on Sunday.
Putuka was at her home with her four daughters when Yadav and his men barged in.
"She was burnt in our house only. He beat me and my brother and sister and threw us outside the room. He then closed the room and burnt her with kerosene oil," NDTV quoted the victim's daughter as saying.
An FIR has been filed and the police are on the lookout for the accused.
"The main accused is Subedar Yadav. The victim and he had problems regarding money. He is said to have gone to her place at night, fought with her, beat her and then set her on fire. He will be arrested as soon as he is proven guilty and action will be taken based on the FIR," said Superintendent of Police, Akhtar Hussain,
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Samsung SM-A500 (aka Wallet-Friendly Galaxy Alpha) Clears TENAA Revealing Images And Specs
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- Scotland Voted Against Independence, Early Results Indicate