Dalit Woman Burnt to Death in Bihar for Refusing to Give Money
By IB Times Staff Reporter | October 9, 2012 9:33 PM EST
A dalit woman in Bihar's Gaya district was allegedly beaten up and burnt to death by three upper caste landowners.
The victim's family alleged that Subedar Yadav, a former block pramukh, and his two nephews Yogesh and Mukesh had promised Putukwa Devi a house under the Indira Awas Yojana. They often used to take money from Putuka.
When the 35-year-old refused to give them money, they poured kerosene on her and set her on fire, the victim's mother said, according to NDTV.
Putuka suffered severe burn injuries and was taken to the Anugrah Narayan Magadh Medical College and Hospital where she died on Sunday.
Putuka was at her home with her four daughters when Yadav and his men barged in.
"She was burnt in our house only. He beat me and my brother and sister and threw us outside the room. He then closed the room and burnt her with kerosene oil," NDTV quoted the victim's daughter as saying.
An FIR has been filed and the police are on the lookout for the accused.
"The main accused is Subedar Yadav. The victim and he had problems regarding money. He is said to have gone to her place at night, fought with her, beat her and then set her on fire. He will be arrested as soon as he is proven guilty and action will be taken based on the FIR," said Superintendent of Police, Akhtar Hussain,
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Top Fake News Websites - Be Aware Or Beware
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar