Dalit Woman Burnt to Death in Bihar for Refusing to Give Money
By IB Times Staff Reporter | October 9, 2012 9:33 PM EST
A dalit woman in Bihar's Gaya district was allegedly beaten up and burnt to death by three upper caste landowners.
The victim's family alleged that Subedar Yadav, a former block pramukh, and his two nephews Yogesh and Mukesh had promised Putukwa Devi a house under the Indira Awas Yojana. They often used to take money from Putuka.
When the 35-year-old refused to give them money, they poured kerosene on her and set her on fire, the victim's mother said, according to NDTV.
Putuka suffered severe burn injuries and was taken to the Anugrah Narayan Magadh Medical College and Hospital where she died on Sunday.
Putuka was at her home with her four daughters when Yadav and his men barged in.
"She was burnt in our house only. He beat me and my brother and sister and threw us outside the room. He then closed the room and burnt her with kerosene oil," NDTV quoted the victim's daughter as saying.
An FIR has been filed and the police are on the lookout for the accused.
"The main accused is Subedar Yadav. The victim and he had problems regarding money. He is said to have gone to her place at night, fought with her, beat her and then set her on fire. He will be arrested as soon as he is proven guilty and action will be taken based on the FIR," said Superintendent of Police, Akhtar Hussain,
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- New Zealanders Willing to Pay Tax for Maui Dolphin Protection
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]