Dalit Woman Burnt to Death in Bihar for Refusing to Give Money
By IB Times Staff Reporter | October 9, 2012 9:33 PM EST
A dalit woman in Bihar's Gaya district was allegedly beaten up and burnt to death by three upper caste landowners.
The victim's family alleged that Subedar Yadav, a former block pramukh, and his two nephews Yogesh and Mukesh had promised Putukwa Devi a house under the Indira Awas Yojana. They often used to take money from Putuka.
When the 35-year-old refused to give them money, they poured kerosene on her and set her on fire, the victim's mother said, according to NDTV.
Putuka suffered severe burn injuries and was taken to the Anugrah Narayan Magadh Medical College and Hospital where she died on Sunday.
Putuka was at her home with her four daughters when Yadav and his men barged in.
"She was burnt in our house only. He beat me and my brother and sister and threw us outside the room. He then closed the room and burnt her with kerosene oil," NDTV quoted the victim's daughter as saying.
An FIR has been filed and the police are on the lookout for the accused.
"The main accused is Subedar Yadav. The victim and he had problems regarding money. He is said to have gone to her place at night, fought with her, beat her and then set her on fire. He will be arrested as soon as he is proven guilty and action will be taken based on the FIR," said Superintendent of Police, Akhtar Hussain,
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Video Showing Woman Getting Sexually Harassed on New York Streets Goes Viral
- Early Heat Wave Breaks Records In Australia; Lighting Storms Spark Bushfires In Queensland [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight