Dalit Woman Burnt to Death in Bihar for Refusing to Give Money
By IB Times Staff Reporter | October 9, 2012 9:33 PM EST
A dalit woman in Bihar's Gaya district was allegedly beaten up and burnt to death by three upper caste landowners.
The victim's family alleged that Subedar Yadav, a former block pramukh, and his two nephews Yogesh and Mukesh had promised Putukwa Devi a house under the Indira Awas Yojana. They often used to take money from Putuka.
When the 35-year-old refused to give them money, they poured kerosene on her and set her on fire, the victim's mother said, according to NDTV.
Putuka suffered severe burn injuries and was taken to the Anugrah Narayan Magadh Medical College and Hospital where she died on Sunday.
Putuka was at her home with her four daughters when Yadav and his men barged in.
"She was burnt in our house only. He beat me and my brother and sister and threw us outside the room. He then closed the room and burnt her with kerosene oil," NDTV quoted the victim's daughter as saying.
An FIR has been filed and the police are on the lookout for the accused.
"The main accused is Subedar Yadav. The victim and he had problems regarding money. He is said to have gone to her place at night, fought with her, beat her and then set her on fire. He will be arrested as soon as he is proven guilty and action will be taken based on the FIR," said Superintendent of Police, Akhtar Hussain,
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate