Liverpool Compete with United for Italian Defender – Report
By Adrian Back | October 9, 2012 8:58 PM EST
Liverpool are the latest Premier League club to be linked with a potential move for Torino centre-back Angelo Ogbonna.
The Italy international is one of the standout players at Torino and has been watched on a number of occasions by scouts from Europe.
The clubs sporting director Gianluca Patrachi recently revealed to tuttomercatoweb.com that Manchester United were one of a number of clubs to have made the trip to Italy to watch the defender in action.
"I can guarantee that there are observers of many foreign clubs who follow our games, including United's scouts," said Patrachi.
Now it seems that Liverpool are also showing an interest after it was reported in The Sun that scouts from the club had attended the game against Cagliari on Sunday.
Liverpool gained their first clean sheet of the season when they drew with Stoke at the weekend, but they have conceded 19 goals in all competitions and have particularly struggled in Europe letting in six goals in just two games.
Manchester United have also endured their own problems at the back this season with injuries playing havoc for Sir Alex Ferguson.
Both Premier league sides are said to be interested in signing the 24-year-old who has spent his entire career with Torino and has recently become a regular member of the Italy squad under Cesare Prandelli.
Manchester United and Liverpool would both have had the chance to watch the defender in action recently when he played the full ninety minutes in the 2-1 loss against England back in August.
Ogbonna was a member of the Italy squad which excelled at Euro 2012 and would certainly not come cheap with Patrachi claiming that an offer of £10million was turned down in the summer.
"Last year we refused £10million for him, but it is clear that he is worth more than £16million," continued Patrachi.
The Sun also believes that high-flyting Everton are another Premier League side who have watched the defender in action and could compete with their Merseyside rivals for Ogbonna's signature.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0