Liverpool Compete with United for Italian Defender – Report
By Adrian Back | October 9, 2012 8:58 PM EST
Liverpool are the latest Premier League club to be linked with a potential move for Torino centre-back Angelo Ogbonna.
The Italy international is one of the standout players at Torino and has been watched on a number of occasions by scouts from Europe.
The clubs sporting director Gianluca Patrachi recently revealed to tuttomercatoweb.com that Manchester United were one of a number of clubs to have made the trip to Italy to watch the defender in action.
"I can guarantee that there are observers of many foreign clubs who follow our games, including United's scouts," said Patrachi.
Now it seems that Liverpool are also showing an interest after it was reported in The Sun that scouts from the club had attended the game against Cagliari on Sunday.
Liverpool gained their first clean sheet of the season when they drew with Stoke at the weekend, but they have conceded 19 goals in all competitions and have particularly struggled in Europe letting in six goals in just two games.
Manchester United have also endured their own problems at the back this season with injuries playing havoc for Sir Alex Ferguson.
Both Premier league sides are said to be interested in signing the 24-year-old who has spent his entire career with Torino and has recently become a regular member of the Italy squad under Cesare Prandelli.
Manchester United and Liverpool would both have had the chance to watch the defender in action recently when he played the full ninety minutes in the 2-1 loss against England back in August.
Ogbonna was a member of the Italy squad which excelled at Euro 2012 and would certainly not come cheap with Patrachi claiming that an offer of £10million was turned down in the summer.
"Last year we refused £10million for him, but it is clear that he is worth more than £16million," continued Patrachi.
The Sun also believes that high-flyting Everton are another Premier League side who have watched the defender in action and could compete with their Merseyside rivals for Ogbonna's signature.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?