Liverpool Compete with United for Italian Defender – Report
By Adrian Back | October 9, 2012 8:58 PM EST
Liverpool are the latest Premier League club to be linked with a potential move for Torino centre-back Angelo Ogbonna.
The Italy international is one of the standout players at Torino and has been watched on a number of occasions by scouts from Europe.
The clubs sporting director Gianluca Patrachi recently revealed to tuttomercatoweb.com that Manchester United were one of a number of clubs to have made the trip to Italy to watch the defender in action.
"I can guarantee that there are observers of many foreign clubs who follow our games, including United's scouts," said Patrachi.
Now it seems that Liverpool are also showing an interest after it was reported in The Sun that scouts from the club had attended the game against Cagliari on Sunday.
Liverpool gained their first clean sheet of the season when they drew with Stoke at the weekend, but they have conceded 19 goals in all competitions and have particularly struggled in Europe letting in six goals in just two games.
Manchester United have also endured their own problems at the back this season with injuries playing havoc for Sir Alex Ferguson.
Both Premier league sides are said to be interested in signing the 24-year-old who has spent his entire career with Torino and has recently become a regular member of the Italy squad under Cesare Prandelli.
Manchester United and Liverpool would both have had the chance to watch the defender in action recently when he played the full ninety minutes in the 2-1 loss against England back in August.
Ogbonna was a member of the Italy squad which excelled at Euro 2012 and would certainly not come cheap with Patrachi claiming that an offer of £10million was turned down in the summer.
"Last year we refused £10million for him, but it is clear that he is worth more than £16million," continued Patrachi.
The Sun also believes that high-flyting Everton are another Premier League side who have watched the defender in action and could compete with their Merseyside rivals for Ogbonna's signature.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks