Liverpool Compete with United for Italian Defender – Report
By Adrian Back | October 9, 2012 8:58 PM EST
Liverpool are the latest Premier League club to be linked with a potential move for Torino centre-back Angelo Ogbonna.
The Italy international is one of the standout players at Torino and has been watched on a number of occasions by scouts from Europe.
The clubs sporting director Gianluca Patrachi recently revealed to tuttomercatoweb.com that Manchester United were one of a number of clubs to have made the trip to Italy to watch the defender in action.
"I can guarantee that there are observers of many foreign clubs who follow our games, including United's scouts," said Patrachi.
Now it seems that Liverpool are also showing an interest after it was reported in The Sun that scouts from the club had attended the game against Cagliari on Sunday.
Liverpool gained their first clean sheet of the season when they drew with Stoke at the weekend, but they have conceded 19 goals in all competitions and have particularly struggled in Europe letting in six goals in just two games.
Manchester United have also endured their own problems at the back this season with injuries playing havoc for Sir Alex Ferguson.
Both Premier league sides are said to be interested in signing the 24-year-old who has spent his entire career with Torino and has recently become a regular member of the Italy squad under Cesare Prandelli.
Manchester United and Liverpool would both have had the chance to watch the defender in action recently when he played the full ninety minutes in the 2-1 loss against England back in August.
Ogbonna was a member of the Italy squad which excelled at Euro 2012 and would certainly not come cheap with Patrachi claiming that an offer of £10million was turned down in the summer.
"Last year we refused £10million for him, but it is clear that he is worth more than £16million," continued Patrachi.
The Sun also believes that high-flyting Everton are another Premier League side who have watched the defender in action and could compete with their Merseyside rivals for Ogbonna's signature.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report