Liverpool Compete with United for Italian Defender – Report
By Adrian Back | October 9, 2012 8:58 PM EST
Liverpool are the latest Premier League club to be linked with a potential move for Torino centre-back Angelo Ogbonna.
The Italy international is one of the standout players at Torino and has been watched on a number of occasions by scouts from Europe.
The clubs sporting director Gianluca Patrachi recently revealed to tuttomercatoweb.com that Manchester United were one of a number of clubs to have made the trip to Italy to watch the defender in action.
"I can guarantee that there are observers of many foreign clubs who follow our games, including United's scouts," said Patrachi.
Now it seems that Liverpool are also showing an interest after it was reported in The Sun that scouts from the club had attended the game against Cagliari on Sunday.
Liverpool gained their first clean sheet of the season when they drew with Stoke at the weekend, but they have conceded 19 goals in all competitions and have particularly struggled in Europe letting in six goals in just two games.
Manchester United have also endured their own problems at the back this season with injuries playing havoc for Sir Alex Ferguson.
Both Premier league sides are said to be interested in signing the 24-year-old who has spent his entire career with Torino and has recently become a regular member of the Italy squad under Cesare Prandelli.
Manchester United and Liverpool would both have had the chance to watch the defender in action recently when he played the full ninety minutes in the 2-1 loss against England back in August.
Ogbonna was a member of the Italy squad which excelled at Euro 2012 and would certainly not come cheap with Patrachi claiming that an offer of £10million was turned down in the summer.
"Last year we refused £10million for him, but it is clear that he is worth more than £16million," continued Patrachi.
The Sun also believes that high-flyting Everton are another Premier League side who have watched the defender in action and could compete with their Merseyside rivals for Ogbonna's signature.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air