Gerrard and Rodgers Praise Liverpool Youngster
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | October 9, 2012 8:35 PM EST
The 32 year old Reds' legend and captain feels the inclusion of his club team mate can only help both club and country.
"I'm really pleased for Jonjo. He has been improving all the time since he arrived at Liverpool and has grown into a good footballer with good vision who can create and score goals," Gerrard explained, adding, "He also listens which means he will only get better with more games and experience. This experience of being in the full England squad will be great for him and hopefully Liverpool will benefit from it as well."
The Reds' coach, Brendan Rodgers, was also full of praise for the youngster, referring to Shelvey as one of the youngsters who could potentially be part of the club's long-term future.
"Jonjo is an example of how the young players have been developing at the club. He has been excellent in his work on a daily basis since I arrived here. He has shown in the early stages of the season that he will play a prominent role in the development of the team over the next couple of years," the former Swansea City manager told the club's official Web site, adding, "To get called into the full England squad is testament to what he's done so far. It will be a great experience for him. He's gone down there to work with some top players and that can only benefit him. Hopefully he will come back a better player."
The 20 year old Shelvey joined the Anfield club two years ago, from Championship side Charlton Athletic and his progression through the Addicks' youth system was impressive. He made his first team debut at 16 and has represented England at the U16, U17, U19 and U21 levels, with excellent goals-to-games ratios at each level. Shelvey received the call up to Roy Hodgson's squad to face San Marino and Poland in qualifiers for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil in order to gain experience working with the senior team.
Shelvey has made 46 appearances for the Reds so far and has scored five times, including a critical second-half brace against Swiss side BSC Young Boys, in a UEFA Europa League group stage match in Bern. Shelvey's goals, in the final 20 minutes, gave Liverpool a 5-3 away win.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares