Gerrard and Rodgers Praise Liverpool Youngster
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | October 9, 2012 8:35 PM EST
The 32 year old Reds' legend and captain feels the inclusion of his club team mate can only help both club and country.
"I'm really pleased for Jonjo. He has been improving all the time since he arrived at Liverpool and has grown into a good footballer with good vision who can create and score goals," Gerrard explained, adding, "He also listens which means he will only get better with more games and experience. This experience of being in the full England squad will be great for him and hopefully Liverpool will benefit from it as well."
The Reds' coach, Brendan Rodgers, was also full of praise for the youngster, referring to Shelvey as one of the youngsters who could potentially be part of the club's long-term future.
"Jonjo is an example of how the young players have been developing at the club. He has been excellent in his work on a daily basis since I arrived here. He has shown in the early stages of the season that he will play a prominent role in the development of the team over the next couple of years," the former Swansea City manager told the club's official Web site, adding, "To get called into the full England squad is testament to what he's done so far. It will be a great experience for him. He's gone down there to work with some top players and that can only benefit him. Hopefully he will come back a better player."
The 20 year old Shelvey joined the Anfield club two years ago, from Championship side Charlton Athletic and his progression through the Addicks' youth system was impressive. He made his first team debut at 16 and has represented England at the U16, U17, U19 and U21 levels, with excellent goals-to-games ratios at each level. Shelvey received the call up to Roy Hodgson's squad to face San Marino and Poland in qualifiers for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil in order to gain experience working with the senior team.
Shelvey has made 46 appearances for the Reds so far and has scored five times, including a critical second-half brace against Swiss side BSC Young Boys, in a UEFA Europa League group stage match in Bern. Shelvey's goals, in the final 20 minutes, gave Liverpool a 5-3 away win.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports