Arsenal See Palace Starlet as Potential Walcott Replacement – Report
By Adrian Back | October 9, 2012 7:49 PM EST
Arsenal are believed to be interested in signing Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha as a potential replacement for Theo Walcott.
The England international has entered the final 12 months of his contract and there is still some uncertainty as to whether he will decide to put pen-to-paper on a new deal, or leave on a free in the summer.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger revealed that he was planning further contract talks with Walcott and was asked whether he believed the winger would remain at the Emirates.
"I think so. But I cannot tell you what he tells me," Wenger told Sky Sports. "We are always in touch. He has character. He keeps focused and he wants to show he is 100 per cent professional and I have a big respect for that attitude."
Walcott has already downed turn one contract extension and he could open negotiations with foreign sides in January and sign a pre-contract agreement.
The Daily Mail has reported that Pat Rice, who left his role at assistant manager, but still works for the club, was sent to Selhurst Park and watched on as Zaha scored two goals in the 4-3 win over Burnley.
The 19-year-old has reportedly been watched by Arsenal scouts on a number of occasions since establishing himself as a regular in the Palace first team.
He has already made more than 90 league appearances for the Championship side and was called up to the England Under-21 squad which will face Serbia for a place in the European Championships in 2013.
Wenger has often taken young players from the lower leagues with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Walcott joining from Southampton - when they were in the Championship - while Carl Jenkinson joined from Charlton when they were in League One.
The Mail suggests that it would take an offer of around £12million for Palace to part with one of their star players.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation