Arsenal See Palace Starlet as Potential Walcott Replacement – Report
By Adrian Back | October 9, 2012 7:49 PM EST
Arsenal are believed to be interested in signing Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha as a potential replacement for Theo Walcott.
The England international has entered the final 12 months of his contract and there is still some uncertainty as to whether he will decide to put pen-to-paper on a new deal, or leave on a free in the summer.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger revealed that he was planning further contract talks with Walcott and was asked whether he believed the winger would remain at the Emirates.
"I think so. But I cannot tell you what he tells me," Wenger told Sky Sports. "We are always in touch. He has character. He keeps focused and he wants to show he is 100 per cent professional and I have a big respect for that attitude."
Walcott has already downed turn one contract extension and he could open negotiations with foreign sides in January and sign a pre-contract agreement.
The Daily Mail has reported that Pat Rice, who left his role at assistant manager, but still works for the club, was sent to Selhurst Park and watched on as Zaha scored two goals in the 4-3 win over Burnley.
The 19-year-old has reportedly been watched by Arsenal scouts on a number of occasions since establishing himself as a regular in the Palace first team.
He has already made more than 90 league appearances for the Championship side and was called up to the England Under-21 squad which will face Serbia for a place in the European Championships in 2013.
Wenger has often taken young players from the lower leagues with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Walcott joining from Southampton - when they were in the Championship - while Carl Jenkinson joined from Charlton when they were in League One.
The Mail suggests that it would take an offer of around £12million for Palace to part with one of their star players.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch