United Target Prepared to Leave Dortmund for the Right Offer
By Adrian Back | October 9, 2012 6:58 PM EST
Borussia Dortmund centre-back Mats Hummels has hinted that he would be prepared to leave the German champions if the right offer was made.
The 23-year-old has emerged as one of the finest defenders in Europe after starring for Dortmund and becoming a regular starter for Germany.
His performances at Euro 2012 further highlighted his talent and he was linked with a move to Manchester United after Sir Alex Ferguson made a visit to watch Dortmund in the DFB-Pokal Cup final.
Dortmund eventually sold Shinja Kagawa to Manchester United while Hunnels signed a new five year deal. However, he has suggested that while he is happy at the club he would consider leaving if the right offer came along.
"One day I will say that I am keen on a transfer," Hummels told German newspaper BILD. "To play football in a new country would be flattering. I already had offers and one enquiry from these offers was really one of interest for me.
"But I told myself that the time is not right for such a move. There was a reason behind my recent contract extension. When you are a Borussia Dortmund player then you do not move to all clubs.
"In the Bundesliga it would just be about Bayern Munich, but this club has no shortage in my position. In Europe there are just about four to five clubs that would really interest me."
Manchester United have faced some defensive difficulties this season as Ferguson has had to deal with the loss of numerous players due to injuries. Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Nemanja Vidic are all sidelined through injury, while Jonny Evans missed the start of the campaign and has only recently returned to full fitness.
With injuries playing a major role there may be a time when Ferguson looks to strengthen his defensive options and Hummels could once again become a genuine target.
With 22 caps already to his name for Germany, Hummels is an established international who has already won two German league titles since leaving Bayern Munich in 2008.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’