United Target Prepared to Leave Dortmund for the Right Offer
By Adrian Back | October 9, 2012 6:58 PM EST
Borussia Dortmund centre-back Mats Hummels has hinted that he would be prepared to leave the German champions if the right offer was made.
The 23-year-old has emerged as one of the finest defenders in Europe after starring for Dortmund and becoming a regular starter for Germany.
His performances at Euro 2012 further highlighted his talent and he was linked with a move to Manchester United after Sir Alex Ferguson made a visit to watch Dortmund in the DFB-Pokal Cup final.
Dortmund eventually sold Shinja Kagawa to Manchester United while Hunnels signed a new five year deal. However, he has suggested that while he is happy at the club he would consider leaving if the right offer came along.
"One day I will say that I am keen on a transfer," Hummels told German newspaper BILD. "To play football in a new country would be flattering. I already had offers and one enquiry from these offers was really one of interest for me.
"But I told myself that the time is not right for such a move. There was a reason behind my recent contract extension. When you are a Borussia Dortmund player then you do not move to all clubs.
"In the Bundesliga it would just be about Bayern Munich, but this club has no shortage in my position. In Europe there are just about four to five clubs that would really interest me."
Manchester United have faced some defensive difficulties this season as Ferguson has had to deal with the loss of numerous players due to injuries. Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Nemanja Vidic are all sidelined through injury, while Jonny Evans missed the start of the campaign and has only recently returned to full fitness.
With injuries playing a major role there may be a time when Ferguson looks to strengthen his defensive options and Hummels could once again become a genuine target.
With 22 caps already to his name for Germany, Hummels is an established international who has already won two German league titles since leaving Bayern Munich in 2008.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues