April Jones: Chinese Lanterns Released in 'Heartbreaking' Tribute
By Vasudevan Sridharan | October 9, 2012 5:41 PM EST
Chinese lanterns have been released into the sky in tribute to the five-year-old April Jones who has been missing for over a week.
Many of the residents of Machynlleth, where April lived, were in tears as the lanterns were released.
April's parents Coral and Paul Jones also released a lantern into the sky as a tribute to their daughter.
Dozens of lanterns were accompanied by pink balloons, said to be April's favourite colour.
Scores of people from nearby towns and villages joined in paying tributes to the missing five-year-old. Many residents are still hopeful of finding April.
One of the volunteers searching for the girl, Andrew Roberts-Evans, described the scene as "the most heartbreaking situation that I have ever experienced in my life," according to WalesOnline.
Roberts-Evans said: "I couldn't go to bed that night so I went straight to Machynlleth and the leisure centre. The community really pulled together even though all we knew was that we were looking for a five-year-old girl. The past week has been torment for everyone involved but the message tonight was that we are all still together."
The mayor of Machynlleth, Gareth Jones, said: "The family are releasing a lantern as a symbol of April and I, like the rest of Machynlleth are very supportive of it."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes