Arsenal Transfer News: Gunners to Chase Falcao with £35m Windfall?
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 9, 2012 3:18 AM EST
Arsenal are said to be considering a surprise move to enter the race for in-demand Atletico Madrid star Radamel Falcao. The claim comes from the Daily Mirror, which states that Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will be handed £35 million to spend as a result of the profits announced by the club last week.
Wenger had already stated back in August that he had money to spend and that if it wasn’t spent in the summer, he would use it in the next transfer window, in January.
“If Arsene wants to use that money during the winter window then, absolutely, he will be able to do it,” said chairman Peter Hill-Wood, according to the Mirror.
“We rely on him to come up with the right people and there will be funds available to him.”
Despite having money to spend, it appears unlikely that Arsenal will become a major factor in what is sure to be a fierce battle to sign Falcao. The Colombian striker has hit an incredible eight goals in six La Liga matches this season to further enhance his reputation as one of the world’s leading front men.
However, Chelsea are thought to be at the head of the queue to sign the 26-year-old. News also emerged over the weekend that Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini watched Falcao during Atletico’s 2-1 victory over Malaga on Sunday. According to the Daily Telegraph, City are interested in securing Falcao in January.
As has been seen with the likes of Eden Hazard, both Chelsea and City are likely to be able to significantly outbid Arsenal for the world's top talent. The Gunners are also unlikely to be willing to match the wages that would be on offer at Stamford Bridge and the Etihad.
Meanwhile, there has been fresh reports over the future of Arsenal winger Theo Walcott. The Daily Mirror claims that Wenger is set to hold further talks this week with the England international, who will be out of contract next summer.
Walcott has already turned down an offer of an extension from the club, while he has also suggested his future will depend on whether he is granted his desire to play as a central striker.
The 23-year-old has been linked with a move to Liverpool and Manchester City should he fail to agree a package to stay at the Emirates. The Metro also reports over the weekend that Italian giants Juventus are interested and could open discussions over a pre-contract agreement in January.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored