Arsenal Transfer News: Gunners to Chase Falcao with £35m Windfall?
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 9, 2012 3:18 AM EST
Arsenal are said to be considering a surprise move to enter the race for in-demand Atletico Madrid star Radamel Falcao. The claim comes from the Daily Mirror, which states that Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will be handed £35 million to spend as a result of the profits announced by the club last week.
Wenger had already stated back in August that he had money to spend and that if it wasn’t spent in the summer, he would use it in the next transfer window, in January.
“If Arsene wants to use that money during the winter window then, absolutely, he will be able to do it,” said chairman Peter Hill-Wood, according to the Mirror.
“We rely on him to come up with the right people and there will be funds available to him.”
Despite having money to spend, it appears unlikely that Arsenal will become a major factor in what is sure to be a fierce battle to sign Falcao. The Colombian striker has hit an incredible eight goals in six La Liga matches this season to further enhance his reputation as one of the world’s leading front men.
However, Chelsea are thought to be at the head of the queue to sign the 26-year-old. News also emerged over the weekend that Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini watched Falcao during Atletico’s 2-1 victory over Malaga on Sunday. According to the Daily Telegraph, City are interested in securing Falcao in January.
As has been seen with the likes of Eden Hazard, both Chelsea and City are likely to be able to significantly outbid Arsenal for the world's top talent. The Gunners are also unlikely to be willing to match the wages that would be on offer at Stamford Bridge and the Etihad.
Meanwhile, there has been fresh reports over the future of Arsenal winger Theo Walcott. The Daily Mirror claims that Wenger is set to hold further talks this week with the England international, who will be out of contract next summer.
Walcott has already turned down an offer of an extension from the club, while he has also suggested his future will depend on whether he is granted his desire to play as a central striker.
The 23-year-old has been linked with a move to Liverpool and Manchester City should he fail to agree a package to stay at the Emirates. The Metro also reports over the weekend that Italian giants Juventus are interested and could open discussions over a pre-contract agreement in January.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR - Preview and Live Streaming Link
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List
- Pope Francis Blasted For Defying Catholic Doctrine, Marries 20 Couples Who Have Cohabited And Had Children In No Else But St Peter's Basilica