Arsenal Transfer News: Gunners to Chase Falcao with £35m Windfall?
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 9, 2012 3:18 AM EST
Arsenal are said to be considering a surprise move to enter the race for in-demand Atletico Madrid star Radamel Falcao. The claim comes from the Daily Mirror, which states that Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will be handed £35 million to spend as a result of the profits announced by the club last week.
Wenger had already stated back in August that he had money to spend and that if it wasn’t spent in the summer, he would use it in the next transfer window, in January.
“If Arsene wants to use that money during the winter window then, absolutely, he will be able to do it,” said chairman Peter Hill-Wood, according to the Mirror.
“We rely on him to come up with the right people and there will be funds available to him.”
Despite having money to spend, it appears unlikely that Arsenal will become a major factor in what is sure to be a fierce battle to sign Falcao. The Colombian striker has hit an incredible eight goals in six La Liga matches this season to further enhance his reputation as one of the world’s leading front men.
However, Chelsea are thought to be at the head of the queue to sign the 26-year-old. News also emerged over the weekend that Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini watched Falcao during Atletico’s 2-1 victory over Malaga on Sunday. According to the Daily Telegraph, City are interested in securing Falcao in January.
As has been seen with the likes of Eden Hazard, both Chelsea and City are likely to be able to significantly outbid Arsenal for the world's top talent. The Gunners are also unlikely to be willing to match the wages that would be on offer at Stamford Bridge and the Etihad.
Meanwhile, there has been fresh reports over the future of Arsenal winger Theo Walcott. The Daily Mirror claims that Wenger is set to hold further talks this week with the England international, who will be out of contract next summer.
Walcott has already turned down an offer of an extension from the club, while he has also suggested his future will depend on whether he is granted his desire to play as a central striker.
The 23-year-old has been linked with a move to Liverpool and Manchester City should he fail to agree a package to stay at the Emirates. The Metro also reports over the weekend that Italian giants Juventus are interested and could open discussions over a pre-contract agreement in January.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Whose Life Changed Because of Sexual Abuse and Molestation
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People