Pallister: Ferdinand Still Has England Desire
By Nick Howson | October 9, 2012 1:25 AM EST
Former Manchester United and England defender Gary Pallister believes Rio Ferdinand's continued silence over his international future is a sign he remains intent on playing in the 2014 World Cup.
The 33 year old was left out of the England squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Poland in spite of John Terry's retirement from international football.
Ferdinand's omission, amid a period of sustained fitness with United, leaves a chasm of experience in the centre of England's defence, and while the former Leeds United defender has kept coy on his international future, Pallister believes the silence is deafening.
"The manager has said that he's better off retiring but the bottom line is that we've heard nothing from Rio so he's obviously still wanting or if he's not considering it then he's obviously leaving himself open to play for England," Pallister told IBTimes UK.
"We've seen it from the likes of Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Alan Shearer who have retired from international football an they've reaped the benefits while playing for their clubs.
"I don't think we've got the stand out figures like we did from the recent past. You look back from when Rio and John Terry were there, you also had Sol Campbell all players right out of the top draw.
"You look at the players with Rio and Terry out o the picture and they've still got much to prove at international level, they've certainly not got the experience. I think it's something that is a bit for gamble from Roy to go in their with someone like Rio Ferdinand."
England coach Gary Neville stated last week that the United man's inclusion in the squad could be disruptive, with Ferdinand set to be 35 come the World Cup in Brazil in two years time.
Furthermore, while Ferdinand's fitness has improved, following a succession of back and achillies injuries, his form has at times wavered, with Gareth Bale the latest to expose him during Tottenham Hotspur's first win against United at Old Trafford for 23 years last weekend.
But Pallister insists that while Ferdinand might be short of pace, he's lost none of his positional intelligence.
"I think Rio is still a world-class player," Pallister, who was speaking at the 90th anniversary celebration of The Football Pools, added.
"I think he's still a fantastic defender I think his experience would be invaluable to England. A lot of people would say he's lost his place well that comes with the territory. I think with Rio he's clever enough and always has been clever enough, I always think he has been quick the way he sees the game the way he reads the game.
"I think that has always been a big part of the type of player he's been over the years and I don't think he's lost any of that. I think that if he wants to play for England again I think he'd play a bit part.
"You have to adapt, Ryan Giggs has adapted, Roy Keane adapted after he got a cruciate injury, you have to adapt to the situation of what your body is telling you; you're not going to get any quicker once you've past your thirties.
"You adapt or die and that's what Rio's done. Rio in his pomp wouldn't have stopped Gareth Bale I don't care who you are, you could be any player in the Premier League. It's very rare for a player or Rio to find himself isolated like that but that's the way it happened. His qualities are there for everyone body to see."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around