Cole: Liverpool Suffering After a Lack of Ruthlessness
By Adrian Back | October 9, 2012 12:21 AM EST
Joe Cole admits that Liverpool were left frustrated at the weekend after a lack of ruthlessness cost them the chance to secure successive league victories for the first time since December 2011.
The midfielder returned to action after picking up an injury on the opening day of the season and was hoping to make an impression under new manager Brendan Rodgers.
Cole returned to the club after a season-long loan at Lille and will now be keen to help the side turn their fortunes around after a difficult start to the season in which they have won just one league game.
There was a first clean sheet in the league this season and while Cole was critical of the finishing, he believes the squad is slowly improving and that there are positives to take from the display.
"There was a bit of frustration in the dressing room after the Stoke game," Cole told the official Liverpool website. "We felt we should have won the game with the chances we had.
"The only criticism of us that I would have was that we didn't stick the ball in the back of the net. We just lacked that final bit [in front of goal]. We have two weeks now to work on it and we're looking forward.
"There's a lot to work on but we have got to take the positives out of today; we didn't get beat and we kept a clean sheet, which was important as we haven't kept one for a long time. Now we just need to kick on.
"I know a lot of the lads are away [on international duty] but we have got two weeks to keep going, keep working on things, getting in and around the box and picking the right pass.
"Hopefully we can get three points at home to Reading and then we can go to Goodison and get a result."
Liverpool are currently in 14th place and have managed to secure just six points from their opening seven Premier League fixtures.
They will also face a stern test when they make the short journey to Everton in a couple of week as David Moyes' team have enjoyed an impressive start to the season and are currently in fourth place with 14 points.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate