Cole: Liverpool Suffering After a Lack of Ruthlessness
By Adrian Back | October 9, 2012 12:21 AM EST
Joe Cole admits that Liverpool were left frustrated at the weekend after a lack of ruthlessness cost them the chance to secure successive league victories for the first time since December 2011.
The midfielder returned to action after picking up an injury on the opening day of the season and was hoping to make an impression under new manager Brendan Rodgers.
Cole returned to the club after a season-long loan at Lille and will now be keen to help the side turn their fortunes around after a difficult start to the season in which they have won just one league game.
There was a first clean sheet in the league this season and while Cole was critical of the finishing, he believes the squad is slowly improving and that there are positives to take from the display.
"There was a bit of frustration in the dressing room after the Stoke game," Cole told the official Liverpool website. "We felt we should have won the game with the chances we had.
"The only criticism of us that I would have was that we didn't stick the ball in the back of the net. We just lacked that final bit [in front of goal]. We have two weeks now to work on it and we're looking forward.
"There's a lot to work on but we have got to take the positives out of today; we didn't get beat and we kept a clean sheet, which was important as we haven't kept one for a long time. Now we just need to kick on.
"I know a lot of the lads are away [on international duty] but we have got two weeks to keep going, keep working on things, getting in and around the box and picking the right pass.
"Hopefully we can get three points at home to Reading and then we can go to Goodison and get a result."
Liverpool are currently in 14th place and have managed to secure just six points from their opening seven Premier League fixtures.
They will also face a stern test when they make the short journey to Everton in a couple of week as David Moyes' team have enjoyed an impressive start to the season and are currently in fourth place with 14 points.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date