Cole: Liverpool Suffering After a Lack of Ruthlessness
By Adrian Back | October 9, 2012 12:21 AM EST
Joe Cole admits that Liverpool were left frustrated at the weekend after a lack of ruthlessness cost them the chance to secure successive league victories for the first time since December 2011.
The midfielder returned to action after picking up an injury on the opening day of the season and was hoping to make an impression under new manager Brendan Rodgers.
Cole returned to the club after a season-long loan at Lille and will now be keen to help the side turn their fortunes around after a difficult start to the season in which they have won just one league game.
There was a first clean sheet in the league this season and while Cole was critical of the finishing, he believes the squad is slowly improving and that there are positives to take from the display.
"There was a bit of frustration in the dressing room after the Stoke game," Cole told the official Liverpool website. "We felt we should have won the game with the chances we had.
"The only criticism of us that I would have was that we didn't stick the ball in the back of the net. We just lacked that final bit [in front of goal]. We have two weeks now to work on it and we're looking forward.
"There's a lot to work on but we have got to take the positives out of today; we didn't get beat and we kept a clean sheet, which was important as we haven't kept one for a long time. Now we just need to kick on.
"I know a lot of the lads are away [on international duty] but we have got two weeks to keep going, keep working on things, getting in and around the box and picking the right pass.
"Hopefully we can get three points at home to Reading and then we can go to Goodison and get a result."
Liverpool are currently in 14th place and have managed to secure just six points from their opening seven Premier League fixtures.
They will also face a stern test when they make the short journey to Everton in a couple of week as David Moyes' team have enjoyed an impressive start to the season and are currently in fourth place with 14 points.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time