NASA Launches Interactive Space Communications Mobile Game App
By VALLI MEENAKSHI RAMANATHAN | October 8, 2012 10:54 PM EST
Commemorating the World Space Week, NASA has launched a new mobile application that makes gamers in charge of a communications network, donning the role of space communications network manager who supports scientific missions.
The application entitled, "Space Communications and Navigation: NetworKing," is apparently developed by NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif., for the iPad and iPhone.
NetworKing provides an interactive, 3-D experience that facilitates an insider's perspective on how mission controllers and scientists communicate with spacecraft and satellites using the space, deep space and near Earth networks.
In a press statement issued by NASA, Barbara Adde, policy and strategic communications director – Space Communications and Navigation Division at NASA Headquarters in Washington said: "This game introduces the complex world of space communications to gamers. It gives players the opportunity to enjoy a challenging game, while absorbing the basic concepts of space communications. The game provides an engaging way to increase interest in the areas of science, technology, engineering and mathematics and opens minds to potential careers in these fields."
With NetworKing, players build large and complex communication networks that support client satellites conducting scientific missions. Players who upgrade their communication networks acquire complex clients, such as the International Space Station and NASA's Hubble and Kepler space telescopes.
Providing insight into the complex world of communications between astronauts, mission controllers, scientists and satellites in real mission scenarios, the game is not just challenging, but also entertaining.
In addition to the mobile application, NetworKing also is made available free on the NASA 3-D Resources website. Players can access the game on their web browsers or it can be downloaded and run on PC or Macintosh operating systems.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans