NASA Launches Interactive Space Communications Mobile Game App
By VALLI MEENAKSHI RAMANATHAN | October 8, 2012 10:54 PM EST
Commemorating the World Space Week, NASA has launched a new mobile application that makes gamers in charge of a communications network, donning the role of space communications network manager who supports scientific missions.
The application entitled, "Space Communications and Navigation: NetworKing," is apparently developed by NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif., for the iPad and iPhone.
NetworKing provides an interactive, 3-D experience that facilitates an insider's perspective on how mission controllers and scientists communicate with spacecraft and satellites using the space, deep space and near Earth networks.
In a press statement issued by NASA, Barbara Adde, policy and strategic communications director – Space Communications and Navigation Division at NASA Headquarters in Washington said: "This game introduces the complex world of space communications to gamers. It gives players the opportunity to enjoy a challenging game, while absorbing the basic concepts of space communications. The game provides an engaging way to increase interest in the areas of science, technology, engineering and mathematics and opens minds to potential careers in these fields."
With NetworKing, players build large and complex communication networks that support client satellites conducting scientific missions. Players who upgrade their communication networks acquire complex clients, such as the International Space Station and NASA's Hubble and Kepler space telescopes.
Providing insight into the complex world of communications between astronauts, mission controllers, scientists and satellites in real mission scenarios, the game is not just challenging, but also entertaining.
In addition to the mobile application, NetworKing also is made available free on the NASA 3-D Resources website. Players can access the game on their web browsers or it can be downloaded and run on PC or Macintosh operating systems.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- Aurora Borealis Paints A Beautiful Picture On The Northern Skies [Watch Video]
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- Testicular Cancer Survivor Pushes 6-Foot Giant Ball Across The US To Create Awareness About Ailment
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date