NASA Launches Interactive Space Communications Mobile Game App
By VALLI MEENAKSHI RAMANATHAN | October 8, 2012 10:54 PM EST
Commemorating the World Space Week, NASA has launched a new mobile application that makes gamers in charge of a communications network, donning the role of space communications network manager who supports scientific missions.
The application entitled, "Space Communications and Navigation: NetworKing," is apparently developed by NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif., for the iPad and iPhone.
NetworKing provides an interactive, 3-D experience that facilitates an insider's perspective on how mission controllers and scientists communicate with spacecraft and satellites using the space, deep space and near Earth networks.
In a press statement issued by NASA, Barbara Adde, policy and strategic communications director – Space Communications and Navigation Division at NASA Headquarters in Washington said: "This game introduces the complex world of space communications to gamers. It gives players the opportunity to enjoy a challenging game, while absorbing the basic concepts of space communications. The game provides an engaging way to increase interest in the areas of science, technology, engineering and mathematics and opens minds to potential careers in these fields."
With NetworKing, players build large and complex communication networks that support client satellites conducting scientific missions. Players who upgrade their communication networks acquire complex clients, such as the International Space Station and NASA's Hubble and Kepler space telescopes.
Providing insight into the complex world of communications between astronauts, mission controllers, scientists and satellites in real mission scenarios, the game is not just challenging, but also entertaining.
In addition to the mobile application, NetworKing also is made available free on the NASA 3-D Resources website. Players can access the game on their web browsers or it can be downloaded and run on PC or Macintosh operating systems.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales