Heather Watson Advances to Second Round in Osaka
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 8, 2012 10:09 PM EST
The World No 71 took just under 90 minutes to find her way past Hercog, forcing a single break in the first set and a double in the second to claim the win. Watson, who reached the third round of the 2012 Wimbledon Championships - her best ever Grand Slam performance -, will play either sixth seed Anabel Medina Garrigues of Spain or Italian Camila Giorgi in the next round.
Meanwhile, Britain's top-ranked female singles' player, Laura Robson, will play Greece's Eleni Daniilidou in her first round match. Should she beat her first round opponent, she will likely come up against local girl Kurumi Nara in the second round.
Australia's Samantha Stosur is the other big name in the main draw at Osaka and the 2011 US Open champion was similarly untroubled in her first round match against Japan's Erika Sema, winning 6-4. 6-2. Stosur won the HP Open back in 2009.
Japan had a poor day on the courts, with two other local favourites - Ayumi Morita and Kimiko Date-Krumm also bowing out, after losing to Jamie Hampton of the USA (3-6, 2-6) and Casey Dellacqua of Australia (3-6, 6-3, 4-6) respectively.
Aside from Watson, Robson and Stosur, Francesca Schiavone of Italy, the World No 33, is also in Osaka and is scheduled to play a qualifier in her first round match. If she gets past that game, she will play another Japanese entrant, Misako Doi, in the second round.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles