Heather Watson Advances to Second Round in Osaka
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 8, 2012 10:09 PM EST
The World No 71 took just under 90 minutes to find her way past Hercog, forcing a single break in the first set and a double in the second to claim the win. Watson, who reached the third round of the 2012 Wimbledon Championships - her best ever Grand Slam performance -, will play either sixth seed Anabel Medina Garrigues of Spain or Italian Camila Giorgi in the next round.
Meanwhile, Britain's top-ranked female singles' player, Laura Robson, will play Greece's Eleni Daniilidou in her first round match. Should she beat her first round opponent, she will likely come up against local girl Kurumi Nara in the second round.
Australia's Samantha Stosur is the other big name in the main draw at Osaka and the 2011 US Open champion was similarly untroubled in her first round match against Japan's Erika Sema, winning 6-4. 6-2. Stosur won the HP Open back in 2009.
Japan had a poor day on the courts, with two other local favourites - Ayumi Morita and Kimiko Date-Krumm also bowing out, after losing to Jamie Hampton of the USA (3-6, 2-6) and Casey Dellacqua of Australia (3-6, 6-3, 4-6) respectively.
Aside from Watson, Robson and Stosur, Francesca Schiavone of Italy, the World No 33, is also in Osaka and is scheduled to play a qualifier in her first round match. If she gets past that game, she will play another Japanese entrant, Misako Doi, in the second round.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation