Sony Sues Kevin Butler Actor Over Wii Commercial
By Edward Smith | October 8, 2012 9:08 PM EST
Jerry Lambert, the actor who plays fake PlayStation executive Kevin Butler, is being sued by Sony for appearing in a commercial for Bridgestone Tyres.
In a statement published on VentureBeat, the Japanese electronics giant explained its decision to sue Lambert, along with his company, Wildcat Creek and Bridgestone Tyres:
"Sony Computer Entertainment America filed a lawsuit against Bridgestone and Wildcat Creek, Inc. on September 11. The claims are based on violations of the Lanham Act, misappropriation, breach of contract and tortious interference with a contractual relationship. We invested significant resources in bringing the Kevin Butler character to life and he's become an iconic personality directly associated with PlayStation products over the years.
"Use of the Kevin Butler character to sell products other than those from PlayStation misappropriates Sony's intellectual property, creates confusion in the market, and causes damage to Sony."
Lambert does not appear as the Kevin Butler character in the Bridgestone advert, but Sony believes his association with the brand is strong enough to constitute copyright theft.
Users on NeoGaf forums have discovered that Lambert has now been edited out of several Bridgestone commercials. A settlement between Sony and Bridgestone is expected to be filed on 12 October.
Lambert, who first appeared as Kevin Butler in 2009, is scheduled to make a cameo appearance in the upcoming PlayStation 3 game LittleBigPlanet Karting. Sony has neither confirmed or denied whether this will still go ahead.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery