Manchester United to Sign Croatian Messi?
By Adrian Back | October 8, 2012 7:32 PM EST
The 16-year-old midfielder has emerged as one of the most promising talents in Croatia and is the star of the Zagreb youth team where he already plays regularly for the Under-19-side.
"Stories about Manchester United? I do not spend much time thinking about those rumours. Dinamo Zagreb will decide what happens," Halilovic is quoted as saying in The Mirror.
"All I have to do is try to improve as much as I can - everything else does not matter now."
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has always been keen to sign the best youth players from around world football and this summer invested in two future stars in Nick Powell and Angelo Henriquez.
Ferguson was also believed to have been interested in the youngster's fellow Croatian midfielder, Luka Modric, but the former Tottenham man decided to join Real Madrid rather than move to Old Trafford.
Halilovic is considered the finest talent to emerge from Croatia since Modric. However he is rarely compared to the Madrid midfielder, and is instead likened to Barcelona superstar Messi.
Despite these generous comparisons, the teenage midfielder insists that people are simply getting carried away.
"I read in the newspapers that I look like Leo Messi when I play, but I think the comparison is simply exaggerated!" added Halilovic.
"Messi is a role model for many young players, but I do not know if everyone can be like him."
Zagreb will be desperate to keep hold of the midfielder and they have even named him in their Champions League squad, though he is yet to appear in European competition for the Croatian side.
See the youngster in action below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate