Manchester United to Sign Croatian Messi?
By Adrian Back | October 8, 2012 7:32 PM EST
The 16-year-old midfielder has emerged as one of the most promising talents in Croatia and is the star of the Zagreb youth team where he already plays regularly for the Under-19-side.
"Stories about Manchester United? I do not spend much time thinking about those rumours. Dinamo Zagreb will decide what happens," Halilovic is quoted as saying in The Mirror.
"All I have to do is try to improve as much as I can - everything else does not matter now."
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has always been keen to sign the best youth players from around world football and this summer invested in two future stars in Nick Powell and Angelo Henriquez.
Ferguson was also believed to have been interested in the youngster's fellow Croatian midfielder, Luka Modric, but the former Tottenham man decided to join Real Madrid rather than move to Old Trafford.
Halilovic is considered the finest talent to emerge from Croatia since Modric. However he is rarely compared to the Madrid midfielder, and is instead likened to Barcelona superstar Messi.
Despite these generous comparisons, the teenage midfielder insists that people are simply getting carried away.
"I read in the newspapers that I look like Leo Messi when I play, but I think the comparison is simply exaggerated!" added Halilovic.
"Messi is a role model for many young players, but I do not know if everyone can be like him."
Zagreb will be desperate to keep hold of the midfielder and they have even named him in their Champions League squad, though he is yet to appear in European competition for the Croatian side.
See the youngster in action below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone