Australian Copper Producer With Mines in Botswana Eyed by China
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | October 8, 2012 7:26 PM EST
The Chinese firm, which currently controls 13.7 per cent of the ordinary shares of Discovery Metals, offered A$1.70 a share in cash for the remaining stock that it does not own yet in Discovery. The bid, which is 17 per cent higher than Discovery's closing price on Oct. 3, would mean that Cathay Fortune would take up 75 per cent of the copper producer, while the China-Africa Development Fund the remaining 25 per cent.
"The offer seems fully priced - the market has decided that commodities are coming off as China's growth slows, so asset values are falling," analyst Chris Brown told Bloomberg News. "Unlike zinc, where the Chinese are a major producer, they're not major producers in their own right in copper."
China Development Bank will fund the bid of Cathay Fortune through a term loan facility of up to $600 million.
A Shanghai-based private equity firm, Cathay Fortune manages a portfolio valued more than $3 billion. It is the owner of China Molybdenum, the fourth largest molybdenum producer in the world, with controlling stakes placed at 35 per cent.
Discovery Metals is listed both at the Australian Stock Exchange and Botswana Stock Exchange as a copper exploration and production company. It is focused on the promising Kalahari Copperbelt in north-west Botswana. It is also a copper producer with full ownership of the Boseto Copper Project.
Discovery Metals' copper-silver mine in western Botswana gave its first copper in July at 36,000 metric tonnes. The project is expected to churn in 1.1 million ounces of silver annually.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- NSW Braces for Severe Weather Condition
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools