Manchester United Tranfer Rumour: Ferguson to Swoop for Fulham Defender
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 8, 2012 7:23 PM EST
Manchester United are reportedly interested in signing Fulham centre back Brede Hangeland in the January transfer window. The Norwegian international is in the final year of his contract and will be available for free next season but the Metro reports Sir Alex Ferguson may move for the Fulham player as early as the winter window, given the injury problems at Old Trafford.
The Red Devils have been hit with a wave of injuries to first team defenders since the start of the season, with Phil Jones (knee), Chris Smalling (broken metatarsal), Nemanja Vidic (knee surgery) and Rio Ferdinand all unavailable at some time or the other. The injuries have meant Ferguson has been forced to field a makeshift back four on several occasions, even going so far as playing central midfielder Michael Carrick at the back.
In addition, Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra are all well on the wrong side of 30, as far as the club's future is concerned and while the three have a staggering amount of experience (952 appearances in total) between them, they are becoming increasingly unsuitable for the pace and speed of the Premier League. Ferdinand was shown up against Gareth Bale (in the 2-3 league defeat to Tottenham) and also in Romania in a Champions League game against CFR Cluj. Ferguson has also acknowledged he needs to plan for life after Frenchman Evra, for the left back position and moved for 23 year old Holland U21 international Alexander Büttner in the summer.
The concern for United fans here will be that Hangeland, while experienced, is also on the wrong side of 30; he is 31 years old and, like Ferdinand, is not known as a fast defender. Any such move for the centre back is therefore likely to be a short-term measure, to tide over the present crisis.
That would seem to be Ferguson's gameplan. The Scot has unearthed further defensive talent for the future in the shape of Scott Wootton, who made his senior team debut in the Capital One Cup win over Newcastle United and is eager to play a role at Old Trafford this season.
"The last week or so has been amazing. To make my competitive debut in the League Cup and then to come on and play in the Champions League is a great feeling. It's something I'm made up with," the 21 year old explained to the Mirror, adding, "Obviously you don't wish injuries on someone, but that's how you might get your chance."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence