Manchester United Tranfer Rumour: Ferguson to Swoop for Fulham Defender
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 8, 2012 7:23 PM EST
Manchester United are reportedly interested in signing Fulham centre back Brede Hangeland in the January transfer window. The Norwegian international is in the final year of his contract and will be available for free next season but the Metro reports Sir Alex Ferguson may move for the Fulham player as early as the winter window, given the injury problems at Old Trafford.
The Red Devils have been hit with a wave of injuries to first team defenders since the start of the season, with Phil Jones (knee), Chris Smalling (broken metatarsal), Nemanja Vidic (knee surgery) and Rio Ferdinand all unavailable at some time or the other. The injuries have meant Ferguson has been forced to field a makeshift back four on several occasions, even going so far as playing central midfielder Michael Carrick at the back.
In addition, Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra are all well on the wrong side of 30, as far as the club's future is concerned and while the three have a staggering amount of experience (952 appearances in total) between them, they are becoming increasingly unsuitable for the pace and speed of the Premier League. Ferdinand was shown up against Gareth Bale (in the 2-3 league defeat to Tottenham) and also in Romania in a Champions League game against CFR Cluj. Ferguson has also acknowledged he needs to plan for life after Frenchman Evra, for the left back position and moved for 23 year old Holland U21 international Alexander Büttner in the summer.
The concern for United fans here will be that Hangeland, while experienced, is also on the wrong side of 30; he is 31 years old and, like Ferdinand, is not known as a fast defender. Any such move for the centre back is therefore likely to be a short-term measure, to tide over the present crisis.
That would seem to be Ferguson's gameplan. The Scot has unearthed further defensive talent for the future in the shape of Scott Wootton, who made his senior team debut in the Capital One Cup win over Newcastle United and is eager to play a role at Old Trafford this season.
"The last week or so has been amazing. To make my competitive debut in the League Cup and then to come on and play in the Champions League is a great feeling. It's something I'm made up with," the 21 year old explained to the Mirror, adding, "Obviously you don't wish injuries on someone, but that's how you might get your chance."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People