Manchester United Tranfer Rumour: Ferguson to Swoop for Fulham Defender
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 8, 2012 7:23 PM EST
Manchester United are reportedly interested in signing Fulham centre back Brede Hangeland in the January transfer window. The Norwegian international is in the final year of his contract and will be available for free next season but the Metro reports Sir Alex Ferguson may move for the Fulham player as early as the winter window, given the injury problems at Old Trafford.
The Red Devils have been hit with a wave of injuries to first team defenders since the start of the season, with Phil Jones (knee), Chris Smalling (broken metatarsal), Nemanja Vidic (knee surgery) and Rio Ferdinand all unavailable at some time or the other. The injuries have meant Ferguson has been forced to field a makeshift back four on several occasions, even going so far as playing central midfielder Michael Carrick at the back.
In addition, Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra are all well on the wrong side of 30, as far as the club's future is concerned and while the three have a staggering amount of experience (952 appearances in total) between them, they are becoming increasingly unsuitable for the pace and speed of the Premier League. Ferdinand was shown up against Gareth Bale (in the 2-3 league defeat to Tottenham) and also in Romania in a Champions League game against CFR Cluj. Ferguson has also acknowledged he needs to plan for life after Frenchman Evra, for the left back position and moved for 23 year old Holland U21 international Alexander Büttner in the summer.
The concern for United fans here will be that Hangeland, while experienced, is also on the wrong side of 30; he is 31 years old and, like Ferdinand, is not known as a fast defender. Any such move for the centre back is therefore likely to be a short-term measure, to tide over the present crisis.
That would seem to be Ferguson's gameplan. The Scot has unearthed further defensive talent for the future in the shape of Scott Wootton, who made his senior team debut in the Capital One Cup win over Newcastle United and is eager to play a role at Old Trafford this season.
"The last week or so has been amazing. To make my competitive debut in the League Cup and then to come on and play in the Champions League is a great feeling. It's something I'm made up with," the 21 year old explained to the Mirror, adding, "Obviously you don't wish injuries on someone, but that's how you might get your chance."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 US Open: Down Goes Maria Sharapova, BF Grigor Dimitrov Advances
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen