Real Madrid and Barcelona Play to an Epic Draw, 2-2
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 8, 2012 2:38 PM EST
Two of the most prominent players in the world battled on Sunday as Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi eached scored two goals, as Real Madrid and Barcelona played to a 2-2 result at Camp Nou.
Ronaldo got the scoring started in the 23rd minute with a left-footed shot to the near post following some clever passing from teammates and off the assist from Karim Benzema.
Eight minutes later, it was Messi's turn. When centre back Pepe failed to clear the ball in the box, Messi was able to poke the ball past Iker Casillas.
Messi would add his second goal in the 61st minute when he deftly curled a free kick beyond the reach of Casillas.
Ronaldo would level the match five minutes later when the Portugal star received a fine pass from Mesut Ozil and took an uncontested shot on Victor Valdes.
Each club took 10 shots, but Real Madrid had three on goal, while Barcelona had two on target. Barcelona controlled possession for 70 percent of the match.
Real Madrid will likely appreciate the draw considering the opponent and the venue. Jose Mourinho's squad has got off to a rougher start than many were expecting from the league champions. However, Los Blancos had several chances to score and put Barcelona away in El Clasico.
The draw ends Barcelona's perfect start. The Catalans had perviously won all six of their La Liga matches.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions