Jay-Z Rides Subway With Fans To Barclays Center: Watch Full Concert Stream
By Jeff Stone | October 8, 2012 8:44 AM EST
Jay-Z’s eighth and final concert at the Barclays Center in New York was less of a concert and more of a celebration as the reigning king of rap streamed the entire event online and even rode to the new Brooklyn venue with fans on an N subway train.
Jay-Z capped off his run of concerts celebrating the opening of the Barclays Center with a set that lasted nearly two hours and featured a set list that stretched across his entire catalog.
The rapper, whose real name is Shawn Carter, is a minority owner of the Brooklyn Nets, the NBA club that will call the Barclays Center home. The team's majority owner -- Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov -- was almost certainly thrilled with the publicity Jay-Z has brought to the new arena.
He will also release a live recording of the concert titled “Live In Brooklyn,” which is available for preordering via iTunes.
Jay-Z fans will certainly want their own copy of the concert. Opening with “Where I’m From” after a Brooklyn-themed montage, Jay-Z tore through some of his biggest hits including “99 Problems,” “Empire State of Mind,” and a cover of departed Brooklyn rapper Notorious B.I.G.’s “Juicy.”
But that was just the beginning. The reviews of the Barclays concerts indicate the rapper is still at the top of his game despite almost two decades in the business. After he tore through “Big Pimpin’” and “03 Bonnie and Clyde,” a special guest sauntered onstage. Beyonce joined her husband and fellow parent to help out with “Diva” and “Crazy In Love” before returning for the event’s final jam, “Young Forever.”
The concert was only half of the night, as Twitter erupted with messages and pictures from fans who ran into Jay-Z riding a subway train from Canal Street in Manhattan to Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn. Surrounded by bodyguards and plainclothes police officers, the rap kingpin appears relaxed and friendly in the captured images, wearing his black hoodie and chatting it up with fans.
You can see MissInfoTV1's Flickr photostream of pictures of Jay-Z taking the N train by clicking here.
There is an overriding narrative arc, though, that CBS reported on earlier in his string of Barclays Center performances. While it’s been written that Prokhorov owns most of the Brooklyn Nets franchise, Jay-Z reminded fans how far one person can come.
“That’s their way of diminishing our accomplishments,” Jay-Z said. “Don’t let anyone diminish your accomplishments. I’m a young black African male who was raised in a single-parent home in low-income housing, and I stand before you as the owner of the Brooklyn Nets.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- Mark Ruffalo Turns Into Hulk For His Daughter And Another Preschooler
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change