Jay-Z Rides Subway With Fans To Barclays Center: Watch Full Concert Stream
By Jeff Stone | October 8, 2012 8:44 AM EST
Jay-Z’s eighth and final concert at the Barclays Center in New York was less of a concert and more of a celebration as the reigning king of rap streamed the entire event online and even rode to the new Brooklyn venue with fans on an N subway train.
Jay-Z capped off his run of concerts celebrating the opening of the Barclays Center with a set that lasted nearly two hours and featured a set list that stretched across his entire catalog.
The rapper, whose real name is Shawn Carter, is a minority owner of the Brooklyn Nets, the NBA club that will call the Barclays Center home. The team's majority owner -- Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov -- was almost certainly thrilled with the publicity Jay-Z has brought to the new arena.
He will also release a live recording of the concert titled “Live In Brooklyn,” which is available for preordering via iTunes.
Jay-Z fans will certainly want their own copy of the concert. Opening with “Where I’m From” after a Brooklyn-themed montage, Jay-Z tore through some of his biggest hits including “99 Problems,” “Empire State of Mind,” and a cover of departed Brooklyn rapper Notorious B.I.G.’s “Juicy.”
But that was just the beginning. The reviews of the Barclays concerts indicate the rapper is still at the top of his game despite almost two decades in the business. After he tore through “Big Pimpin’” and “03 Bonnie and Clyde,” a special guest sauntered onstage. Beyonce joined her husband and fellow parent to help out with “Diva” and “Crazy In Love” before returning for the event’s final jam, “Young Forever.”
The concert was only half of the night, as Twitter erupted with messages and pictures from fans who ran into Jay-Z riding a subway train from Canal Street in Manhattan to Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn. Surrounded by bodyguards and plainclothes police officers, the rap kingpin appears relaxed and friendly in the captured images, wearing his black hoodie and chatting it up with fans.
You can see MissInfoTV1's Flickr photostream of pictures of Jay-Z taking the N train by clicking here.
There is an overriding narrative arc, though, that CBS reported on earlier in his string of Barclays Center performances. While it’s been written that Prokhorov owns most of the Brooklyn Nets franchise, Jay-Z reminded fans how far one person can come.
“That’s their way of diminishing our accomplishments,” Jay-Z said. “Don’t let anyone diminish your accomplishments. I’m a young black African male who was raised in a single-parent home in low-income housing, and I stand before you as the owner of the Brooklyn Nets.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert