Jay-Z Rides Subway With Fans To Barclays Center: Watch Full Concert Stream
By Jeff Stone | October 8, 2012 8:44 AM EST
Jay-Z’s eighth and final concert at the Barclays Center in New York was less of a concert and more of a celebration as the reigning king of rap streamed the entire event online and even rode to the new Brooklyn venue with fans on an N subway train.
Jay-Z capped off his run of concerts celebrating the opening of the Barclays Center with a set that lasted nearly two hours and featured a set list that stretched across his entire catalog.
The rapper, whose real name is Shawn Carter, is a minority owner of the Brooklyn Nets, the NBA club that will call the Barclays Center home. The team's majority owner -- Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov -- was almost certainly thrilled with the publicity Jay-Z has brought to the new arena.
He will also release a live recording of the concert titled “Live In Brooklyn,” which is available for preordering via iTunes.
Jay-Z fans will certainly want their own copy of the concert. Opening with “Where I’m From” after a Brooklyn-themed montage, Jay-Z tore through some of his biggest hits including “99 Problems,” “Empire State of Mind,” and a cover of departed Brooklyn rapper Notorious B.I.G.’s “Juicy.”
But that was just the beginning. The reviews of the Barclays concerts indicate the rapper is still at the top of his game despite almost two decades in the business. After he tore through “Big Pimpin’” and “03 Bonnie and Clyde,” a special guest sauntered onstage. Beyonce joined her husband and fellow parent to help out with “Diva” and “Crazy In Love” before returning for the event’s final jam, “Young Forever.”
The concert was only half of the night, as Twitter erupted with messages and pictures from fans who ran into Jay-Z riding a subway train from Canal Street in Manhattan to Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn. Surrounded by bodyguards and plainclothes police officers, the rap kingpin appears relaxed and friendly in the captured images, wearing his black hoodie and chatting it up with fans.
You can see MissInfoTV1's Flickr photostream of pictures of Jay-Z taking the N train by clicking here.
There is an overriding narrative arc, though, that CBS reported on earlier in his string of Barclays Center performances. While it’s been written that Prokhorov owns most of the Brooklyn Nets franchise, Jay-Z reminded fans how far one person can come.
“That’s their way of diminishing our accomplishments,” Jay-Z said. “Don’t let anyone diminish your accomplishments. I’m a young black African male who was raised in a single-parent home in low-income housing, and I stand before you as the owner of the Brooklyn Nets.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’