Jay-Z Rides Subway With Fans To Barclays Center: Watch Full Concert Stream
By Jeff Stone | October 8, 2012 8:44 AM EST
Jay-Z’s eighth and final concert at the Barclays Center in New York was less of a concert and more of a celebration as the reigning king of rap streamed the entire event online and even rode to the new Brooklyn venue with fans on an N subway train.
Jay-Z capped off his run of concerts celebrating the opening of the Barclays Center with a set that lasted nearly two hours and featured a set list that stretched across his entire catalog.
The rapper, whose real name is Shawn Carter, is a minority owner of the Brooklyn Nets, the NBA club that will call the Barclays Center home. The team's majority owner -- Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov -- was almost certainly thrilled with the publicity Jay-Z has brought to the new arena.
He will also release a live recording of the concert titled “Live In Brooklyn,” which is available for preordering via iTunes.
Jay-Z fans will certainly want their own copy of the concert. Opening with “Where I’m From” after a Brooklyn-themed montage, Jay-Z tore through some of his biggest hits including “99 Problems,” “Empire State of Mind,” and a cover of departed Brooklyn rapper Notorious B.I.G.’s “Juicy.”
But that was just the beginning. The reviews of the Barclays concerts indicate the rapper is still at the top of his game despite almost two decades in the business. After he tore through “Big Pimpin’” and “03 Bonnie and Clyde,” a special guest sauntered onstage. Beyonce joined her husband and fellow parent to help out with “Diva” and “Crazy In Love” before returning for the event’s final jam, “Young Forever.”
The concert was only half of the night, as Twitter erupted with messages and pictures from fans who ran into Jay-Z riding a subway train from Canal Street in Manhattan to Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn. Surrounded by bodyguards and plainclothes police officers, the rap kingpin appears relaxed and friendly in the captured images, wearing his black hoodie and chatting it up with fans.
You can see MissInfoTV1's Flickr photostream of pictures of Jay-Z taking the N train by clicking here.
There is an overriding narrative arc, though, that CBS reported on earlier in his string of Barclays Center performances. While it’s been written that Prokhorov owns most of the Brooklyn Nets franchise, Jay-Z reminded fans how far one person can come.
“That’s their way of diminishing our accomplishments,” Jay-Z said. “Don’t let anyone diminish your accomplishments. I’m a young black African male who was raised in a single-parent home in low-income housing, and I stand before you as the owner of the Brooklyn Nets.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features