'Die Hard 5' Trailer Premiers, But Is The Franchise In Danger Of Being Played Out?
By Eric Brown | October 8, 2012 6:49 AM EST
A few days ago, the first trailer for Bruce Willis’ latest action outing, “Die Hard 5,” titled “A Good Day to Die Hard,” was released online. And while the trailer has some fans of the series excited for a new installment, plenty of critics believe the fifth “Die Hard” will simply likely drag the series down.
The trailer for “A Good Day to Die Hard” gives away little of the film’s plot, which reportedly involves John McClane traveling to Russia in order to save his adult son from terrorists.
While those plot beats aren’t revealed in the trailer, the promotional spot is full of plenty of shots of Russian buildings being blown up over music from the first “Die Hard.” The trailer’s sole line of dialog is Bruce Willis simply describing himself as “the 007 of Plainfield, New Jersey.”
However, while audiences have traditionally been excited for “Die Hard” films in the past, the reception for the first glimpse of “A Good Day to Die Hard” hasn’t exactly been the most positive.
Grantland’s Dan Silver, for instance, has had some particularly harsh things to say about the latest few entries in the “Die Hard” franchise.
“Die Hard is the Joan Rivers of film franchises,” Silver writes. “It’s had so much work done to it that 1988’s taut, straightforward, hardcore cat-and-mouse action thriller would gasp in horror if it ever saw what it would become in 2013. With each passing film, Die Hard’s kernels of plausibility and decorum seem to shrivel away.”
Even the Huffington Post says that the latest “Die Hard” installment “comes along with diminished expectations” after the disappointment of “Live Free or Die Hard.”
So will the next “Die Hard” be a flop or a success? Decide for yourself by watching the trailer below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]