Will Lisa Lampanelli Be Less Funny Like Other Former Fatties Joan Hill and Ricky Gervais? Photos Of Lampanelli Skinny
By IB Times Staff Reporter | October 8, 2012 4:16 AM EST
Lisa Lampanelli is garnering praise after losing a lot of weight -- a jaw-dropping 80 pounds. The weight loss is due to a gastric sleeve operation she had in April. Known as comedy’s "Queen of Mean," Lampanelli saw her career trajectory skyrocket after she began appearing on Comedy Central’s annual celebrity roasts. Now, some fans are wondering if Lampanelli’s good news will end up hurting her career.
In the five months since the surgery removed 85% of her stomach, Lampanelli’s Twitter feed has been blowing up. She’s been posting pictures of her new look to the delight of her almost 400,000 followers. You can find the images by clicking here.
The Twitterverse is happy for her healthy new lifestyle, but there is a fear that Lampanelli could become the next Jonah Hill or Ricky Gervais, two comic actors who started receiving decidedly less than enthusiastic reviews after their own dramatic weight losses.
After stealing the scene in comedies like “Superbad” and “Forgetting Sarah Marshall,” Hill lost over 40 pounds. But he also lost the John Belushi-like appeal that made him so attractive to fans, according to the Daily Mail. Starring alongside former male stripper Channing Tatum in “21 Jump Street” also made movie audiences question his decisions, as that film never reached the cult-like following his previous efforts had.
Hill, who is 28, told the Daily Mail that his weight loss made him a better fit for more serious roles.
“I think it’s about the work you are doing,” he said. “Getting in better shape is a sign of maturity. I think you are taken seriously.”
Hill’s latest role, “The Watch,” was a bomb at the box office, earning just $13 million in its opening weekend despite a cast that included Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn.
Ricky Gervais also saw his reputation take a hit after shedding his spare tire. Gervais, who rose to fame on the back of the BBC version of “The Office,” was criticized for being too mean during his monologue at the 2011 Golden Globes. It was a complaint that didn’t resonate with every fan, but some critics wondered if it’s just easier for people with fragile egos to take a joke from someone that is overweight.
Lamapanelli doesn’t seem to be worried about going down the same path. She can hardly be blamed for wanting to get healthy, and it’s likely she’ll have even more comedic avenues to go down rather than just making fat jokes about herself.
Still, TV Guide reported that Lampanelli assured Howard Stern that her comedic sensibilities are still intact, perhaps uncomfortably so.
“Don’t worry, I still hate myself from the neck up,” she said. “That’s a different operation.”
Lampanelli is currently preparing for her upcoming one-woman show on Broadway.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Young and the Restless July 28- August 1 Spoilers, Cast News: Updates on Devon, Hilary, Chelsea, Billy, Jack, Phyllis Plus Criminal Minds Actor Returns
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Daenerys Targaryen vs Yezzan, Nymeria Sand Actress Announced at Comic Con 2014
- Sons of Anarchy Charlie Hunnam Heartbroken about Walking Away from Fifty Shades of Grey [VIDEO]
- The Walking Dead Season 5 Official Trailer Released Plus Premiere Date, Spoilers: Gun Battle, Zombies, Beth Greene [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]