Will Lisa Lampanelli Be Less Funny Like Other Former Fatties Joan Hill and Ricky Gervais? Photos Of Lampanelli Skinny
By IB Times Staff Reporter | October 8, 2012 4:16 AM EST
Lisa Lampanelli is garnering praise after losing a lot of weight -- a jaw-dropping 80 pounds. The weight loss is due to a gastric sleeve operation she had in April. Known as comedy’s "Queen of Mean," Lampanelli saw her career trajectory skyrocket after she began appearing on Comedy Central’s annual celebrity roasts. Now, some fans are wondering if Lampanelli’s good news will end up hurting her career.
In the five months since the surgery removed 85% of her stomach, Lampanelli’s Twitter feed has been blowing up. She’s been posting pictures of her new look to the delight of her almost 400,000 followers. You can find the images by clicking here.
The Twitterverse is happy for her healthy new lifestyle, but there is a fear that Lampanelli could become the next Jonah Hill or Ricky Gervais, two comic actors who started receiving decidedly less than enthusiastic reviews after their own dramatic weight losses.
After stealing the scene in comedies like “Superbad” and “Forgetting Sarah Marshall,” Hill lost over 40 pounds. But he also lost the John Belushi-like appeal that made him so attractive to fans, according to the Daily Mail. Starring alongside former male stripper Channing Tatum in “21 Jump Street” also made movie audiences question his decisions, as that film never reached the cult-like following his previous efforts had.
Hill, who is 28, told the Daily Mail that his weight loss made him a better fit for more serious roles.
“I think it’s about the work you are doing,” he said. “Getting in better shape is a sign of maturity. I think you are taken seriously.”
Hill’s latest role, “The Watch,” was a bomb at the box office, earning just $13 million in its opening weekend despite a cast that included Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn.
Ricky Gervais also saw his reputation take a hit after shedding his spare tire. Gervais, who rose to fame on the back of the BBC version of “The Office,” was criticized for being too mean during his monologue at the 2011 Golden Globes. It was a complaint that didn’t resonate with every fan, but some critics wondered if it’s just easier for people with fragile egos to take a joke from someone that is overweight.
Lamapanelli doesn’t seem to be worried about going down the same path. She can hardly be blamed for wanting to get healthy, and it’s likely she’ll have even more comedic avenues to go down rather than just making fat jokes about herself.
Still, TV Guide reported that Lampanelli assured Howard Stern that her comedic sensibilities are still intact, perhaps uncomfortably so.
“Don’t worry, I still hate myself from the neck up,” she said. “That’s a different operation.”
Lampanelli is currently preparing for her upcoming one-woman show on Broadway.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying