HP Expects 20 Percent Notebook Sales from Ultrabook by end 2013
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 7, 2012 10:04 PM EST
Computer manufacturer Hewlett Packard expects as much as 20 percent in net book sales volume from the Ultrabook segment by 2013 end, Press Trust of India (PTI) reported
"We expect that by the end of 2013, 15-20 per cent of our volumes will be that of Ultrabook and by 2014-end, it should be around 40 per cent. We have a strong lineup of products and across price points, which we think, would be a crucial factor," said Rajiv Srivastava, HP India Vice President and General Manager (Printing and Personal Systems Group).
Ultrabook, the thinner and the lighter version of the notebook powered by Intel processors, were anticipated to pose a bigger challenge to the popular tablet market, but its sales had reportedly fallen flat this year. High prices of the Ultrabook could be one of the reasons for the dip in purchases. The starting price of the device is around ₹40,000 and goes up to ₹1 lakh depending on the configuration.
"So far, the PC industry has failed to create the kind of buzz and excitement among consumers that is required to propel ultrabooks into the mainstream," said IHS analyst Craig Stice, according to Agence France-Presse. "This is especially a problem amid all the hype surrounding media tablets and smartphones."
An IHS iSupply report estimated that only 10.3 million Ultrabooks might be shipped as against the 22 million forecasted earlier. Despite the declined sales, HP hopes to revive the market with the launch of a new Intel processor and Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system upgrade.
"It is a very competitive market and this will only grow. The differentiator will be how technology is refreshed and what experience is provided to the end-consumer," Srivastava told PTI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports