Liverpool v Stoke City: Where to Watch, Preview and Teams
By Vishnuprasad S | October 7, 2012 8:43 PM EST
Liverpool welcome Stoke City to Anfield as both teams look to build on their recent mini-revivals.
Where to Watch
Kick-off is set for 3pm BST. LFC TV will have a build-up to the match that starts at 2pm BST. Watch highlights of the game on Match of the Day 2 on BBC One and BBC One HD at 10.10pm BST.
This will be a clash of two teams with contrasting styles. Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool boasts an attractive, passing-and-possession-based approach, while Tony Pulis's Stoke deploy a direct, physical style that has won them more critics than fans.
Neither side managed to start the season in the way they wanted and both are currently languishing in the bottom half of the league table; the Reds 14th and the Potters 12th. However, the good news is that both put in fine performances last week and registered their first league wins of the season. Liverpool thrashed Norwich City 5-2 at Carrow Road, thanks to a Luis Suarez hat-trick (the Uruguyan became the first player in Liverpool's history to score hat-tricks in the same fixture in successive seasons), while Pulis's men beat Swansea City 2-0 at home.
Stoke have never beaten Liverpool in the English top flight in 49 attempts, and have not won any of their last 12 away games. However, the Potters will fancy their chances this time, after watching the Reds' poor defensive display in the 2-3 loss to Udinese in the midweek Europa League clash at Anfield.
- Last five (most recent first): L W W L W
- Last result: Liverpool 2 - 3 Udinese
- Last five (most recent first): W L D D L
- Last result: Stoke City 2 - 0 Swansea City
Liverpool: Long-term absentees Lucas Leiva and Martin Kelly are the only players sidelined with injuries for the Reds as they go into this clash, while Jonjo Shelvey will serve the last of his three-match suspension after his straight red against Manchester United last month. Joe Cole and Jose Enrique are fit again after recovering from hamstring and knee injuries and could make the bench. Meanwhile, Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Martin Skrtel, Daniel Agger, Nuri Sahin and Raheem Sterling should all return to the starting line-up after being benched for the midweek game, as Rodgers is expected to revert to the same XI that hammered Norwich 5-2.
Stoke City: Defender Andy Wilkinson will serve the last of a three-game ban earned after being sent off against Manchester City last month. Otherwise, Pulis has a full squad to pick from and is likely to name the same line-up that beat Swansea last week. Peter Crouch and Charlie Adam are set to start against their former club, while Anfield's legend-turned-villain Michael Owen is expected to make an appearance at some point.
Probable Starting Line-ups
Liverpool (4-3-3): Reina; Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson; Allen, Sahin, Gerrard; Suso, Suarez, Sterling
Stoke City (4-2-3-1): Begovic; Cameron, Huth, Shawcross, Wilson; Whelan, Nzonzi; Walters, Adam, Kightly; Crouch
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop