Liverpool v Stoke City: Where to Watch, Preview and Teams
By Vishnuprasad S | October 7, 2012 8:43 PM EST
Liverpool welcome Stoke City to Anfield as both teams look to build on their recent mini-revivals.
Where to Watch
Kick-off is set for 3pm BST. LFC TV will have a build-up to the match that starts at 2pm BST. Watch highlights of the game on Match of the Day 2 on BBC One and BBC One HD at 10.10pm BST.
This will be a clash of two teams with contrasting styles. Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool boasts an attractive, passing-and-possession-based approach, while Tony Pulis's Stoke deploy a direct, physical style that has won them more critics than fans.
Neither side managed to start the season in the way they wanted and both are currently languishing in the bottom half of the league table; the Reds 14th and the Potters 12th. However, the good news is that both put in fine performances last week and registered their first league wins of the season. Liverpool thrashed Norwich City 5-2 at Carrow Road, thanks to a Luis Suarez hat-trick (the Uruguyan became the first player in Liverpool's history to score hat-tricks in the same fixture in successive seasons), while Pulis's men beat Swansea City 2-0 at home.
Stoke have never beaten Liverpool in the English top flight in 49 attempts, and have not won any of their last 12 away games. However, the Potters will fancy their chances this time, after watching the Reds' poor defensive display in the 2-3 loss to Udinese in the midweek Europa League clash at Anfield.
- Last five (most recent first): L W W L W
- Last result: Liverpool 2 - 3 Udinese
- Last five (most recent first): W L D D L
- Last result: Stoke City 2 - 0 Swansea City
Liverpool: Long-term absentees Lucas Leiva and Martin Kelly are the only players sidelined with injuries for the Reds as they go into this clash, while Jonjo Shelvey will serve the last of his three-match suspension after his straight red against Manchester United last month. Joe Cole and Jose Enrique are fit again after recovering from hamstring and knee injuries and could make the bench. Meanwhile, Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Martin Skrtel, Daniel Agger, Nuri Sahin and Raheem Sterling should all return to the starting line-up after being benched for the midweek game, as Rodgers is expected to revert to the same XI that hammered Norwich 5-2.
Stoke City: Defender Andy Wilkinson will serve the last of a three-game ban earned after being sent off against Manchester City last month. Otherwise, Pulis has a full squad to pick from and is likely to name the same line-up that beat Swansea last week. Peter Crouch and Charlie Adam are set to start against their former club, while Anfield's legend-turned-villain Michael Owen is expected to make an appearance at some point.
Probable Starting Line-ups
Liverpool (4-3-3): Reina; Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson; Allen, Sahin, Gerrard; Suso, Suarez, Sterling
Stoke City (4-2-3-1): Begovic; Cameron, Huth, Shawcross, Wilson; Whelan, Nzonzi; Walters, Adam, Kightly; Crouch
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date