Liverpool v Stoke City: Where to Watch, Preview and Teams
By Vishnuprasad S | October 7, 2012 8:43 PM EST
Liverpool welcome Stoke City to Anfield as both teams look to build on their recent mini-revivals.
Where to Watch
Kick-off is set for 3pm BST. LFC TV will have a build-up to the match that starts at 2pm BST. Watch highlights of the game on Match of the Day 2 on BBC One and BBC One HD at 10.10pm BST.
This will be a clash of two teams with contrasting styles. Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool boasts an attractive, passing-and-possession-based approach, while Tony Pulis's Stoke deploy a direct, physical style that has won them more critics than fans.
Neither side managed to start the season in the way they wanted and both are currently languishing in the bottom half of the league table; the Reds 14th and the Potters 12th. However, the good news is that both put in fine performances last week and registered their first league wins of the season. Liverpool thrashed Norwich City 5-2 at Carrow Road, thanks to a Luis Suarez hat-trick (the Uruguyan became the first player in Liverpool's history to score hat-tricks in the same fixture in successive seasons), while Pulis's men beat Swansea City 2-0 at home.
Stoke have never beaten Liverpool in the English top flight in 49 attempts, and have not won any of their last 12 away games. However, the Potters will fancy their chances this time, after watching the Reds' poor defensive display in the 2-3 loss to Udinese in the midweek Europa League clash at Anfield.
- Last five (most recent first): L W W L W
- Last result: Liverpool 2 - 3 Udinese
- Last five (most recent first): W L D D L
- Last result: Stoke City 2 - 0 Swansea City
Liverpool: Long-term absentees Lucas Leiva and Martin Kelly are the only players sidelined with injuries for the Reds as they go into this clash, while Jonjo Shelvey will serve the last of his three-match suspension after his straight red against Manchester United last month. Joe Cole and Jose Enrique are fit again after recovering from hamstring and knee injuries and could make the bench. Meanwhile, Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Martin Skrtel, Daniel Agger, Nuri Sahin and Raheem Sterling should all return to the starting line-up after being benched for the midweek game, as Rodgers is expected to revert to the same XI that hammered Norwich 5-2.
Stoke City: Defender Andy Wilkinson will serve the last of a three-game ban earned after being sent off against Manchester City last month. Otherwise, Pulis has a full squad to pick from and is likely to name the same line-up that beat Swansea last week. Peter Crouch and Charlie Adam are set to start against their former club, while Anfield's legend-turned-villain Michael Owen is expected to make an appearance at some point.
Probable Starting Line-ups
Liverpool (4-3-3): Reina; Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson; Allen, Sahin, Gerrard; Suso, Suarez, Sterling
Stoke City (4-2-3-1): Begovic; Cameron, Huth, Shawcross, Wilson; Whelan, Nzonzi; Walters, Adam, Kightly; Crouch
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports