Liverpool v Stoke City: Where to Watch, Preview and Teams
By Vishnuprasad S | October 7, 2012 8:43 PM EST
Liverpool welcome Stoke City to Anfield as both teams look to build on their recent mini-revivals.
Where to Watch
Kick-off is set for 3pm BST. LFC TV will have a build-up to the match that starts at 2pm BST. Watch highlights of the game on Match of the Day 2 on BBC One and BBC One HD at 10.10pm BST.
This will be a clash of two teams with contrasting styles. Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool boasts an attractive, passing-and-possession-based approach, while Tony Pulis's Stoke deploy a direct, physical style that has won them more critics than fans.
Neither side managed to start the season in the way they wanted and both are currently languishing in the bottom half of the league table; the Reds 14th and the Potters 12th. However, the good news is that both put in fine performances last week and registered their first league wins of the season. Liverpool thrashed Norwich City 5-2 at Carrow Road, thanks to a Luis Suarez hat-trick (the Uruguyan became the first player in Liverpool's history to score hat-tricks in the same fixture in successive seasons), while Pulis's men beat Swansea City 2-0 at home.
Stoke have never beaten Liverpool in the English top flight in 49 attempts, and have not won any of their last 12 away games. However, the Potters will fancy their chances this time, after watching the Reds' poor defensive display in the 2-3 loss to Udinese in the midweek Europa League clash at Anfield.
- Last five (most recent first): L W W L W
- Last result: Liverpool 2 - 3 Udinese
- Last five (most recent first): W L D D L
- Last result: Stoke City 2 - 0 Swansea City
Liverpool: Long-term absentees Lucas Leiva and Martin Kelly are the only players sidelined with injuries for the Reds as they go into this clash, while Jonjo Shelvey will serve the last of his three-match suspension after his straight red against Manchester United last month. Joe Cole and Jose Enrique are fit again after recovering from hamstring and knee injuries and could make the bench. Meanwhile, Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Martin Skrtel, Daniel Agger, Nuri Sahin and Raheem Sterling should all return to the starting line-up after being benched for the midweek game, as Rodgers is expected to revert to the same XI that hammered Norwich 5-2.
Stoke City: Defender Andy Wilkinson will serve the last of a three-game ban earned after being sent off against Manchester City last month. Otherwise, Pulis has a full squad to pick from and is likely to name the same line-up that beat Swansea last week. Peter Crouch and Charlie Adam are set to start against their former club, while Anfield's legend-turned-villain Michael Owen is expected to make an appearance at some point.
Probable Starting Line-ups
Liverpool (4-3-3): Reina; Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson; Allen, Sahin, Gerrard; Suso, Suarez, Sterling
Stoke City (4-2-3-1): Begovic; Cameron, Huth, Shawcross, Wilson; Whelan, Nzonzi; Walters, Adam, Kightly; Crouch
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’