One X gets yet another custom ROM Jelly Bean update after a long break, thanks to XDA recognised developer – Football Photo: HTC
HTC One X gets yet another custom ROM Jelly Bean update after a long break, thanks to XDA recognised developer Football. The new custom firmware, One Maximus v4.0, brings a plethora of custom features to HTC's flagship smartphone.
As of yet there is no word on the official release of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update for One X from HTC, but users can now see a patched Jelly Bean OS (operating system) running on their favourite smartphones, thanks to Maximus custom ROM firmware.
What New Features You Will Get
- Based on latest RUUs
- Aroma Installer
- Init.d capabilities
- Unsecured boot.img
- RAM optimisations
- Added busybox
- All apps updated
- Tweaked for best performance
- Fast and Smooth UI
- Deleted bloatware
- Deleted freedback apps
- Ability to choose any language you want
- General clean-up
- Added Solid Explorer, AdAway, Tegra Zone
- A lot of other changes
Key Points to Note
- The One Maximus v4.0 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are compatible only with the HTC One X model and will not work with any other model or device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important personal data and settings to avoid data loss while installing the Maximus ROM based Jelly Bean update.
- Be advised that use of HTC Sync for creating backups is unsupported on this custom ROM firmware. Besides, it is advisable to avoid using ROM Manager for data backup as it may brick or cause irreparable hardware damage to your phone.
- It is necessary to enable USB debugging mode to support the custom ROM installation. To do so, navigate to Settings > Applications > Development and select the USB debugging option to enable it.
- Ensure that your phone battery is holds at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while flashing the custom ROMs or installing the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update.
- Make sure that your phone is rooted and its bootloader is unlocked before proceeding with the firmware installation. It must be noted that rooting a device will void warranty on its hardware components. In order to regain warranty status, you have to reapply the official firmware update and restore the phone back to factory settings.
- Download Root Checker from Google PLAY Store to verify if your device is already rooted or not.
- Firmware is not an official release. Rather, it is an initial build of Jelly Bean 4.1 release.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the Maximus v4.0 custom ROM update. Users are cautioned to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install One Maximus ROM Based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Update on HTC One X
- Download the One Maximus V4.0 Firmware package from here to your computer. After the firmware download completes, connect your HTC One X to the computer and copy the downloaded zip file to the root folder on your device's SD card.
- Now, power off the phone and boot into the Boot loader mode through a button sequence. Press and hold Volume Up and OK buttons together and then simultaneously press the Power button. If the phone accidentally boots in the normal mode then you need to repeat the step to enter into the boot loader mode.
- Once you enter the boot loader mode, choose recovery option to boot into the recovery mode. In recovery mode, click Wipe data/factory reset and Wipe Cache partition for erasing all the cache data present in the device.
- Within recovery mode, choose install zip from sd card and click choose zip from sd card. Now, browse and select the One Maximus V4.0 Firmware package which you have copied to the device earlier. Once the file is selected, double-tap on it to install the ROM and then reboot your device.
Tip: If your HTC One X fails to reboot or gets stuck in the boot loop mode, then you need to re-apply or repeat the whole process from the beginning to ensure that the device is successfully updated to the latest Jelly Bean firmware.
Maximus v4.0 ROM based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update is now successfully installed on your HTC One X. Verify the firmware version installed by navigating to Settings > About phone.
[Source: Android Advices]
To contact the editor, e-mail: