Another Gang-Rape Shocker in Haryana: Dalit Victim Commits Suicide
By greeshma m | October 7, 2012 5:21 PM EST
A teenaged dalit girl on Saturday set herself on fire after being raped by two youths in Haryana, Indian Express said.
The incident occurred early morning and the 16-year-old girl managed to give a statement before she succumbed to burns. The police registered a case and have arrested one of the accused youth. Another two people who helped in the crime have been taken into custody.
According to the FIR filed, the girl was raped by her neighbour Pradeep and his friend Naveen after being forcibly pulled inside the former's house. Two other people including Pradeep's sister-in-law kept guard while the youths took turns raping her.
Naveen was arrested while Pradeep has been absconding since the incident was reported to the police. The accused and the victim belong to the same community in Jind's Sacchakhera village.
Humiliated by the incident, the girl rushed to her house and set herself on fire. She was taken to Narwana hospital and then to a government hospital in Rohtak, where she breathed her last, the newspaper said.
"The girl later went to her house and fearing the humiliation, poured kerosene on her body and immolated herself. On hearing her screams, the neighbors rushed to the spot and informed the police," said an officer.
The girl's family are demanding justice for their daughter. Her mother alleged that the girl was also raped by Pradeep's cousin but was not arrested since he was a police constable.
This is the tenth case of gang rape reported in less than in a month in Haryana. Most of the cases were reported from Jind district.
On Wednesday, a newly-married woman lodged a complaint saying that she was raped by four men in Gohana town near Sonipat, about 200 km from the state capital. In a similar kind of incident, a 13-year-old girl was raped by a 45-year-old neighbor in Rohtak town earlier this week.
At the time when it seemed that the number of rape incidents is quite high, the Haryana director general of police (DGP) said that the number has come down in the state compared to last year's.
"The number of rape cases this year in Haryana has reduced by 80, compared to 2011. The media should exercise restraint while saying that the crime graph is increasing," DGP Ranjiv Dalal said according to Hill Post.
Haryana registered 733 rape cases in 2011, while 367 rape cases were reported in just six months this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James