Notre Dame vs Miami, Where and When to Watch, Betting Odds, Prediction, Preview for Saturday’s College Football Game
October 7, 2012 7:15 AM EST
Two of the most accomplished programs in college football clash Saturday as the Notre Dame Fighting Irish face the Miami Hurricanes at Soldier Field in the annual Shamrock Series game.
This is the first regular season match-up between the once rival schools since 1990.
The ninth-ranked Irish aim to stay perfect after their bye week, and the defense looks to repeat their performance in the 13-6 win against Michigan on Sept. 22.
Senior linebacker Manti Te’o picked off Wolverines quarterback Denard Robinson twice, and the defense gobbled up another three interceptions and forced a fumble, completely flummoxing the Michigan offense.
Quarterback Tommy Rees recorded Notre Dame’s only touchdown on a two-yard run, and kicker Kyle Brindza knocked in two field goals to cap the Irish scoring.
Like Notre Dame, Miami is in the middle of a resurgent year, and their offense looked like some of the Hurricanes' legendary teams of the 1980s last week, gaining 651 yards in a nail-biting 44-37 win over North Carolina State.
Hurricanes quarterback Stephen Morris hit receiver Philip Dorsett with 19 seconds remaining for a 62-yard touchdown and the win. Morris set a new school and Atlantic Coast Conference record with 566 yards passing on the day, along with six touchdowns.
Dorsett accounted for 197 of those yards and two scores, while receiver Rashawn Scott had six catches for 180 yards and two touchdowns of his own.
Morris and his crew will have a difficult time against the Irish's fourth-ranked defense that has not allowed a touchdown since Sept. 8 against Purdue.
The contest begins at 7 p.m. EDT and will be broadcast by NBC.
Betting Odds: Notre Dame is favored by 14 points.
Over/Under: 54 points
Prediction: Notre Dame’s rushing attack should keep Morris off the field, and the Irish defense may let up a touchdown, but ultimately will shut down Miami in a rousing win.
Predicted Score: Notre Dame 24, Miami 10
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People