Liverpool Chase Belgian Winger - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | October 6, 2012 11:21 PM EST
Liverpool are reported to be considering a January move for PSV Eindhoven winger Dries Mertens.
The Reds lack options in attack, a problem magnified after selling wide men Dirk Kuyt and Maxi Rodriguez in the summer and failing to bring in a replacement for striker Andy Carroll, who was loaned out to West Ham United on transfer deadline day.
Manager Brendan Rodgers is now keen to increase his options up front and views the versatile Mertens as an ideal signing, according to Goal.com. The Belgium international, who joined PSV from FC Utrecht in 2011, is in sublime form in the Eredivisie and has notched four goals and six assists in just seven games this season.
The report also claims former Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish wanted to sign the 25-year-old before he was shown the door. It seems Rodgers has now given the green light for the move and Anfield chiefs will attempt to snap up the £10m-rated player.
"Liverpool first wanted Mertens when Kenny Dalglish was manager but they are still making their interest well known. He would obviously love to play for such a prestigious club in English football but right now he can only focus on producing strong performances for PSV," the report said, quoting a source close to the player.
Newcastle United have also been linked with a move for Mertens in the January transfer window, reports Metro.
Rodgers Hails Agger as World's Best
Rodgers has hailed Reds centre-back Daniel Agger as one of the best in the world, after the Dane signed a new long-term contract with the Merseyside outfit.
"It's great when one of your best players commits to the vision going forward. Daniel is a terrific player and I am absolutely delighted he has committed himself. It's a big boost for everyone connected with the club," the Liverpool website quoted Rodgers as saying.
"He's one of the best centre-backs in world football. His balance, his reading of the game, his defensive qualities and his ability to bring it out from the back is outstanding. He's in love with the club and the supporters, and I'm really looking forward to continuing to work with him," the Northern Irishman added.
Agger joins team-mates Luis Suarez, Martin Skrtel and Jonjo Shelvey in signing a new contract with Liverpool this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans