Liverpool Chase Belgian Winger - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | October 6, 2012 11:21 PM EST
Liverpool are reported to be considering a January move for PSV Eindhoven winger Dries Mertens.
The Reds lack options in attack, a problem magnified after selling wide men Dirk Kuyt and Maxi Rodriguez in the summer and failing to bring in a replacement for striker Andy Carroll, who was loaned out to West Ham United on transfer deadline day.
Manager Brendan Rodgers is now keen to increase his options up front and views the versatile Mertens as an ideal signing, according to Goal.com. The Belgium international, who joined PSV from FC Utrecht in 2011, is in sublime form in the Eredivisie and has notched four goals and six assists in just seven games this season.
The report also claims former Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish wanted to sign the 25-year-old before he was shown the door. It seems Rodgers has now given the green light for the move and Anfield chiefs will attempt to snap up the £10m-rated player.
"Liverpool first wanted Mertens when Kenny Dalglish was manager but they are still making their interest well known. He would obviously love to play for such a prestigious club in English football but right now he can only focus on producing strong performances for PSV," the report said, quoting a source close to the player.
Newcastle United have also been linked with a move for Mertens in the January transfer window, reports Metro.
Rodgers Hails Agger as World's Best
Rodgers has hailed Reds centre-back Daniel Agger as one of the best in the world, after the Dane signed a new long-term contract with the Merseyside outfit.
"It's great when one of your best players commits to the vision going forward. Daniel is a terrific player and I am absolutely delighted he has committed himself. It's a big boost for everyone connected with the club," the Liverpool website quoted Rodgers as saying.
"He's one of the best centre-backs in world football. His balance, his reading of the game, his defensive qualities and his ability to bring it out from the back is outstanding. He's in love with the club and the supporters, and I'm really looking forward to continuing to work with him," the Northern Irishman added.
Agger joins team-mates Luis Suarez, Martin Skrtel and Jonjo Shelvey in signing a new contract with Liverpool this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe