Liverpool Chase Belgian Winger - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | October 6, 2012 11:21 PM EST
Liverpool are reported to be considering a January move for PSV Eindhoven winger Dries Mertens.
The Reds lack options in attack, a problem magnified after selling wide men Dirk Kuyt and Maxi Rodriguez in the summer and failing to bring in a replacement for striker Andy Carroll, who was loaned out to West Ham United on transfer deadline day.
Manager Brendan Rodgers is now keen to increase his options up front and views the versatile Mertens as an ideal signing, according to Goal.com. The Belgium international, who joined PSV from FC Utrecht in 2011, is in sublime form in the Eredivisie and has notched four goals and six assists in just seven games this season.
The report also claims former Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish wanted to sign the 25-year-old before he was shown the door. It seems Rodgers has now given the green light for the move and Anfield chiefs will attempt to snap up the £10m-rated player.
"Liverpool first wanted Mertens when Kenny Dalglish was manager but they are still making their interest well known. He would obviously love to play for such a prestigious club in English football but right now he can only focus on producing strong performances for PSV," the report said, quoting a source close to the player.
Newcastle United have also been linked with a move for Mertens in the January transfer window, reports Metro.
Rodgers Hails Agger as World's Best
Rodgers has hailed Reds centre-back Daniel Agger as one of the best in the world, after the Dane signed a new long-term contract with the Merseyside outfit.
"It's great when one of your best players commits to the vision going forward. Daniel is a terrific player and I am absolutely delighted he has committed himself. It's a big boost for everyone connected with the club," the Liverpool website quoted Rodgers as saying.
"He's one of the best centre-backs in world football. His balance, his reading of the game, his defensive qualities and his ability to bring it out from the back is outstanding. He's in love with the club and the supporters, and I'm really looking forward to continuing to work with him," the Northern Irishman added.
Agger joins team-mates Luis Suarez, Martin Skrtel and Jonjo Shelvey in signing a new contract with Liverpool this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff