Liverpool Chase Belgian Winger - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | October 6, 2012 11:21 PM EST
Liverpool are reported to be considering a January move for PSV Eindhoven winger Dries Mertens.
The Reds lack options in attack, a problem magnified after selling wide men Dirk Kuyt and Maxi Rodriguez in the summer and failing to bring in a replacement for striker Andy Carroll, who was loaned out to West Ham United on transfer deadline day.
Manager Brendan Rodgers is now keen to increase his options up front and views the versatile Mertens as an ideal signing, according to Goal.com. The Belgium international, who joined PSV from FC Utrecht in 2011, is in sublime form in the Eredivisie and has notched four goals and six assists in just seven games this season.
The report also claims former Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish wanted to sign the 25-year-old before he was shown the door. It seems Rodgers has now given the green light for the move and Anfield chiefs will attempt to snap up the £10m-rated player.
"Liverpool first wanted Mertens when Kenny Dalglish was manager but they are still making their interest well known. He would obviously love to play for such a prestigious club in English football but right now he can only focus on producing strong performances for PSV," the report said, quoting a source close to the player.
Newcastle United have also been linked with a move for Mertens in the January transfer window, reports Metro.
Rodgers Hails Agger as World's Best
Rodgers has hailed Reds centre-back Daniel Agger as one of the best in the world, after the Dane signed a new long-term contract with the Merseyside outfit.
"It's great when one of your best players commits to the vision going forward. Daniel is a terrific player and I am absolutely delighted he has committed himself. It's a big boost for everyone connected with the club," the Liverpool website quoted Rodgers as saying.
"He's one of the best centre-backs in world football. His balance, his reading of the game, his defensive qualities and his ability to bring it out from the back is outstanding. He's in love with the club and the supporters, and I'm really looking forward to continuing to work with him," the Northern Irishman added.
Agger joins team-mates Luis Suarez, Martin Skrtel and Jonjo Shelvey in signing a new contract with Liverpool this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build