Mumford & Sons Have The Most Charting Singles Since The Beatles
By Eric Brown | October 6, 2012 7:35 AM EST
Mumford & Sons is the biggest thing in music right now. The folk-rock quartet just broke records for the year with its newest album “Babel” selling more than 600,000 units in the first week.
And now the group has hit a landmark that hasn’t been reached in 48 years, with six concurrent hits on the Billboard Hot 100 list. The only group to ever beat that record? The Beatles.
Counting them down, the six charting Mumford & Sons songs are “Ghosts That We Knew” at No. 94, “Holland Road” at No. 92, “Whispers in the Dark” at No. 86, “Lover’s Eyes” at No. 85, “Babel” at No. 60, and “I Will Wait” at No. 57. Those are some impressive numbers for a band that places their banjo player front and center onstage.
Despite their success, however, Mumford & Sons isn’t exactly about to break The Beatles’ record any time soon. Mumford & Sons may have six songs in the Hot 100, but it isn’t even close to the record held by Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr. Especially considering that the highest-charting Mumford & Sons song, “I Will Wait,” is only No. 57.
At its height of popularity, The Beatles had 14 singles on the top 100 list for the week of April 11, 1964. The 11 charting hits included the all-time classics “She Loves You,” “I Want to Hold Your Hand,” and “Can’t Buy Me Love,” all of which eventually peaked at No. 1.
On April 4, 1964, those three songs -- alongside “Please Please Me” and “Twist and Shout” -- were the top five singles on the Billboard charts. While Mumford & Sons are big, it’s doubtful it (or any other band) will ever achieve fame of that level.
During its career, The Beatles had 20 singles hit No. 1 on the Billboard Top 40 and 19 albums reach No. 1 on the Billboard Top 200. By 1972, only two years after the band broke up, the Beatles had sold 545 million records worldwide.
Now, that figure stands at more than 1 billion. That’s not even counting successful Beatles solo records and projects including other bands such as Wings, the Traveling Wilburys, and the Plastic Ono Band.
Listen to Mumford & Sons' latest single, "Babel," below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS